Notices

Chevy Duramax lemon/oil burner

Old 03-25-2007, 03:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Duramax lemon/oil burner

I have a 2004 Chevy Duramax that burns oil- 300 or so miles per quart. The truck is very lightly used, and the problem started last year at about 25,000 miles. There are no signs of oil smoke or raw oil in the tailpipe, and no leaks whatsoever. My dealer mechanic thinks it is the turbo, probably inlet side seal. The local dealer, Hood Chevrolet in Covington Louisiana, initiated an oil consumption test wherein the truck was topped off and mileage recorded for 3 consecutive times. At the completion they agreed that this truck has a major oil consumption problem and to bring it in when convenient. OK so far...

I put 1700 miles on the truck and had added 6 quarts of oil on my own, thinking the determination was final. I brought it in for repair as the dealer had agreed to. I was then notified that the factory refused the warranty work because the truck used only 1 quart of oil in 1700 miles. I informed the dealer that I had added 6 quarts on my own, which now, according to them, tainted the test.

The problem I now face is that GM wants me to be their guinea pig and drive this thing in an extended oil consumption test with very vague terms. Even if I was lying about adding the oil myself, the truck still burned an average well in excess of the 1500 miles per quart GM finds acceptable.

Does anyone on this board know the details of the oil consumption test? the paperwork I have indicates possibly 3000 miles, but does not explicitly state that. There are 31 lines on the form to record mileage fuel and oil consumption info as well as engine hours. GM appears to be taking a 'Tough Luck' attitude and is quickly loosing me as a future customer.

Ronnie Byrd
Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Try these website and ask the same ? I have found lots of answer there.www.dieselplace.com
Old 03-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...I would go to the web sight also....sign up and research...there is alot of pages to go back on....I have a new turbo I will give you if your out of warranty....lly motor. Tell them off a little...take it to another dealer???
Old 03-25-2007, 07:49 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like there is a breakdown in communications between GM and dealer whereas you were not given the correct instructions? For oil usuage complaints a usuage test is not uncommon. Even in larger truck diesel engines.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Registered

U shoud have the 100k warranty on the Duramax.I'd let the phucker run out,don't add the 6 qts. this time.Let them put a new one in if that's the way they want to be.I hate warranty issues
Old 03-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Registered

call gm customer service,its in the back of your owners manual ,if not just ask ill get for you and take the truck to an other gm dealer,customer serv will open a file on your truck,but keep records on your oil usage to show them,dont run the truck out of oil,it will be your falt then
Old 03-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Motor is still covered by factory warranty (3 yr/ 36 K miles) so isn't this covered?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Registered

Duramaxes are 100K warranty. I have less than 30 K on it.

UPDATE - I checked the oil this morning and it was almost 1 quart low, which is after the dealer topped it off Friday. Either I burned another quart of oil in 5 miles or the mechanic does not know how to read the dipstick on a Duramax. I had to instruct them on reading the dipstick once before... the correct consumption in the last 1700 miles is now close to 2 quarts, if you disregard the other 6 quarts I added.

Louisiana has redhibition laws which are more basic than lemon laws. I am going to the dealer Monday and try this one last time then depending on the outcome will look into filing a lawsuit.

Byrdman- Thanks for your generous offer- the truck is still under warranty and if I had a spare turbo, I would probably just throw it at the truck.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Did you recieve a copy of the repair order each time you had it brought in and "topped off"?

The repair order is your gold plated documentation as to visits, inconvience, out of use etc.

You probably have to go along with thier second consumption test.

The next time you go to the dealership politly ask for copies of the warranty claim history and repair orders related to this truck. Just asking for these items will raise flags that you are considering a lemon law filing.

Each time you bring the truck in you have the right to recieve a repair order. To a great extent the dealer is stuck being the messenger in the middle so don't be real hard on him.

good luck
Old 04-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Registered

I brought the truck to another dealer I have done business with- Ross-Downing Chevrolet in Hammond, La. They have done a teardown and the turbo is toast- inlet housing full of oil, and found junk in the oil supply line. They traced it back into the block oiling system and found the root cause.

The turbo is fed oil through the #4 cam bearing, which apparently had been spinning in the block....alternately allowing then cutting off oil to the turbo. They are arranging to replace the engine. At this point I am impressed with Ross-Downing and my confidence is somewhat restored in GM.

What is interesting about all of this is that the service dept manager from Hood has contacted Ross-Downing about the truck and indicated that they still had an open case, and wanted me to bring the truck back...

Hood Chevrolet is a perfect example of why you should never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Quick Reply: Chevy Duramax lemon/oil burner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.