Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anyone with MD or HD trucks running Engine or Exhaust brakes? >

Anyone with MD or HD trucks running Engine or Exhaust brakes?

Notices

Anyone with MD or HD trucks running Engine or Exhaust brakes?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with MD or HD trucks running Engine or Exhaust brakes?

I just had an exhaust brake put on my CXT (7300 w/ DT466e) but haven't towed with it yet - just wondering what the differences are between an engine and exhaust brake in day-to-day towing. It's set up on a toggle switch on my dash under my GPS so I can engage and disengage when I want.

From what I've read, engine brakes are for larger (> 11L) engined-trucks, and exhaust brakes work fine for us with smaller engines.

Just curious whether those of you with similarly-sized trucks run exhaust or engine brakes, and what your thoughts are and what your experiences have been using them...
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

kodiak 4500 with exhaust brake with no trailer will bring the rig down to almost a stop when engaged. hitting grades with it loaded wiii keep it at a pretty consistant speed and an emergency"panic" stop it helps a whole bunch. night and day difference when towing along with less wear on the brakes themselves. Just dont run it when not hooked to a trailer if it is wet or slick out for you have a very high risk of swapping ends on the road.(tried true and tested)
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JPD Motorsports
kodiak 4500 with exhaust brake with no trailer will bring the rig down to almost a stop when engaged. hitting grades with it loaded wiii keep it at a pretty consistant speed and an emergency"panic" stop it helps a whole bunch. night and day difference when towing along with less wear on the brakes themselves. Just dont run it when not hooked to a trailer if it is wet or slick out for you have a very high risk of swapping ends on the road.(tried true and tested)
It was the ONLY thing I liked about my 4500.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered

Its great when going down long grades, it saves the brakes for when you really need them ( turns ) and keeping your foot off the pedal thus keeping the brakes cool. I use it when doing exits of the freeway as well, it just makes life easier on the brakes all around.