Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!! >

Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!!

Notices

Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been told that the velocity's are notorious for this but I kind of enjoy the feeling. It's called sit down shut up and hold on cause here we go.
On the serious side, I have ventured into the offroading side of life a number of times current one is a 92 dakota with a 4 inch suspension lift 2 inch body lift, 360 crate 380 HP gone through 4 front diffs, 3 front axles and more tires than mos anyone.
I'm assuming the death wobble is on the highway. I'd double check wheel balance as the bigger tires are always prone to this. Another cause is the off roading side, I've had rocks jammed up between the rim and brakes and actually punch a hole in the rim. thinking of this possible that it could also have torn off a wheel weight. Double check that the toe in is still set, if so I'd start looking out board wheels, rims, rotors etc
Old 10-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Caster is really critical. Sounds like you have gotten good advice form quite a few now. Good luck. My JK had a little death wobble before we installed PSCs hyd. steering. It is GONE now. This picture is pre PSC.

Sam

Wardey, whatever became of the steering issue???

Last edited by Neverfastenuf; 10-27-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:10 PM

Old thread...Sold my jeep and looking for a new winter time toy.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Registered

Neverfastenough,

what all have you done to your jeep.

I work with a guy who has a stock white one and looking to upgrade.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Registered

I know alot of this stuff has been said before, but i have had extensive experience with death wobble on my jeeps. I would start with tightening everything, especially the front trackbar, pay close attention to the upper mount, as they are known to "wallow" out into and eggshape. I have also seen the upper and lower mounts develope cracks and start to peel from the frame/ or axle. Also check the Track bar alignment, making sure one side of the axle doesnt stick out of the fenders farther than the other. I also once had an issue with my rear track bar not beeing completely tight so check that. After making sure everything is tight, check all the bushings, tierod ends and especially ball joints. Ive replaced all of these at one point or another. The track bar busings and the control arm bushings wear out, these can all lead to DW. Also as stated prior, check your toe, as it should only be about 1/2 inch of toe in. I also ran into a caster issue once where there was too much pinion angle and it was causing severe DW. I got adjustable arms and it went away. BTW,Installing a steering stabilizer will only mask the current issue. Last but not least make sure your tires are balanced, also try rotating them so see if that helps.
Ive owned several jeeps and my current one has gone from 4" lift/33 to 5" 35s to 37s now it Dana 60s and 40" tires. Been there done that......Good luck
Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Slumpbuster
Sea Dated,
any jeep runs coming up
Not sure. I sold my Jeep last week and I am delivering this Saturday to it's new owner. No time or money for more than one hobby and I really like boating.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Registered

Wow...old thread. I cut the short arm suspesion out and added the Clayton Long Arm kit along with their steering up grade that has larger cross members, steering arms, tie rods, etc. Added a full belly up sid and a solid rear Dana 44 axle w/ discs and air lockers. This thing rides like a caddy now. Dave
Attached Thumbnails Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!!-dsc03412.jpg   Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!!-dsc03539.jpg   Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!!-dsc03548.jpg  

Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered

Here it is for the trial run. Dave Yes I'm SERIOUS Dave
Attached Thumbnails Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!!-dsc03560.jpg