Notices

heavy towing with f450

Old 09-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

21g behind a 450...get a grip on it...you people act like nothing ever goes wrong...how come stuff always goes wrong every time I go anywhere......you guys just don't have the balls to tell it like it is....possibly your all just doing 45 mph....thats it..
Old 09-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well birdy, we all understand that stuff goes wrong, probably often to all of us. No one wants any stuff to go wrong, that's why this forum is here. We can bounce ideas and solutions off each other, so less stuff goes wrong(at least that's the thought behind it).
As everyone should know, the faster you go, the more risk you take for something to go wrong. That is telling it, not Like it is(something close but not exact), but HOW it is(the how is self explanatory, right on target).
Old 09-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Registered

Wow, Pookie seems to have the most intelligent responses of anyone on this thread. The Yugo comment applies even more directly with a 1,700 lb Yugo towing a 3,400 pound trailer. Actually, that would be safer then a 3,000 lb Yugo towing a 6,000 lb trailer.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
Most of these custom mediums are derated to 26000 pounds to avoid the requirement of a CDL. Can they be purchased rated appropriately so that it is legal to tow heavy loads with them? From the insurance and liability perspective the RV licensing is not an effective approach to avoid claim denial if the vehicle is not rated to tow the load in question (even if it is derated)
They're not really "derated", they're built to that GVW rating. You can get one built to any GVW you like, including a medium with tandems or a class-8 tractor with an RV or toter conversion.

The 26K truck will legally tow anything that you wouldn't need a permit for.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Registered

In the brochures under specs they are limited to 26000 lbs gcwr with the CXT weighing in at just under 16000 lbs and the sportchassis around 14K. That doesn't leave much for trailer weight, certainly not enough for a larger offshore boat even on an aluminum trailer.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Registered

These are the same trucks with Spicer or Meritor rear axles that are rated to CARRY that much weight even with single rear configuration. The only conclusion is that they are kept intentionally under the gcwr to appeal to a larger market, but that translates to unprotected liability simply based on numbers. It seems that everyone on these threads has horror stories about insurance companies denying claims in overloaded vehicle configurations. To me this is a real concern.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Registered

Default pookie has a good point.

Is 16000 lbs enough weight capacity. I would say that it might be close for the boat only. I would say that pookie has done his research and doesn't want a denied claim in case of an accident for being overloaded. Think if you got sued for millions and your insurance company gives you the middle finger and refuses to help you. You are screwed for the rest of your life. That is why I would be darn sure that the vehicle I got to tow a larger boat would be rated accordingly. Even if I had to do a few mods to my truck and/or trailor.

Last edited by 22 inch guns; 09-12-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered

Default does anyone actually know?

Do any of you actually know what is going on? It seems as though the stories change on every thread, even if its ever so slight. Pookie seems to have done his research, but has less practical experience. The people that claim to have more experience, I would like to see more consistant answers, if you're not consistant it looks bad for your credibility. Especially those that have been talking about custom mediums.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by pookie
These are the same trucks with Spicer or Meritor rear axles that are rated to CARRY that much weight even with single rear configuration. The only conclusion is that they are kept intentionally under the gcwr to appeal to a larger market, but that translates to unprotected liability simply based on numbers. It seems that everyone on these threads has horror stories about insurance companies denying claims in overloaded vehicle configurations. To me this is a real concern.
Sportchassis rates the smallest model with a 28,000 lb towing capacity and 40,000 lb GCWR.

The 450 AND the 550 are toys compared to the Sportchassis, yet ford rates the 550 within 2 tons of the FL in towing capacity.

Tell me that Ford (and GM) aren't pushing it on their tow ratings.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...p1819Jan06.pdf

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 09-12-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 22 inch guns
Do any of you actually know what is going on?
Lots of us do. Been there, done it, got the T shirt. Lots of us own big trucks and big boats and it's not our first time.

Just a piece of advice- you can take it for what it's worth. This may be the single worst site on the Web for a new guy to show up and not ease into things, if you get my drift.

First, you might want to be more specific about your criticisms and stick to solid facts. Second, you might want to watch the tone of your posts. Say what you have to say, keep it factual and polite and things should go smoothly for you.

This is the single largest collection of performance boating knowledge anywere in the world- and it can be a fun, friendly place. Just play nice.

Quick Reply: heavy towing with f450

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.