Notices

Need new trailer tires

Old 09-12-2007, 06:25 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Need new trailer tires

Currently have 205/75/15 Goodyear Marathons (6) and they are in need of replacement. Looking for recommendations to replace these. I was considering going with the 215/75/15 to get a more HD rated tire.

I do quite a bit of trailering during the Summer so I am looking for a good tire.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boat wrench works at Goodyear Fox Run Waukesha if you want a deal. Just bought 8 tires for car and truck last year.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Registered

Jeff, I've got 225 75 15's on mine with D rating. I think it will depend on how wide your rims are.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You can't have too much tire!

Goodyear is FAR better than Carlisle.
Cooper is also marketing a trailer tire, but I have no input on them.

I am running E Rated LT truck tires on mine. My trailer came with a generic brand truck tire, which I replaced a couple of them with like tires. I have just recently switched to Firestone Trans Force LT E-rated 16" tires, but there are both spares at this point. I have a friend who had the Firestone Trans Force on his Myco, and they pulled GREAT for several years with no issues.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Registered

Moving from a 205 to a 215 shouldn't be an issue, they're only going to be 10mm wider at the cross section. There will be a slight increase in tire diameter as well, if you want I'll research it for you if you think tire height will be a problem clearing your fenders. You'll gain some load carrying capacity as well, not too much though. Remember trailer service tires have a different body construction to handle the side loads that are not usually encountered in passenger/lt tires. For that reason, I'd stick with a trailer service - especially if you're running a triple axle rig. We've has good success with the Maxxis line, the prices are good, too.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fabricator
Moving from a 205 to a 215 shouldn't be an issue, they're only going to be 10mm wider at the cross section. There will be a slight increase in tire diameter as well, if you want I'll research it for you if you think tire height will be a problem clearing your fenders. You'll gain some load carrying capacity as well, not too much though. Remember trailer service tires have a different body construction to handle the side loads that are not usually encountered in passenger/lt tires. For that reason, I'd stick with a trailer service - especially if you're running a triple axle rig. We've has good success with the Maxxis line, the prices are good, too.
who makes the maxxis line, I've never heard of it
Old 09-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RonS
who makes the maxxis line, I've never heard of it
Here ya go: http://www.maxxis.com/
Old 09-13-2007, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hp500efi
Currently have 205/75/15 Goodyear Marathons (6) and they are in need of replacement. Looking for recommendations to replace these. I was considering going with the 215/75/15 to get a more HD rated tire.

I do quite a bit of trailering during the Summer so I am looking for a good tire.

Thanks
HP, The Marathons are going to be hard to beat,, you should be able to go to the 215's with no problem, we have them in stock if you can't find any locally, I don't remember the price but I'll check it out when I get in this morning if you want, and post tonight or you can give me a shout at work if you get a second today,

Mitch 800-231-2295 ext# 129
Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the best of the best I would go with the Goodyear Unisteel. Load rating G That's right G. They are regrovable steel belted sidewall. Would probbley be the last trailer tire you'll ever put on.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Registered

If ya really want to feel your butt pucker for trailer tires, but you probably couldn't kill them with a gun, Bridgestone has an 8.25r15 R187 series tire with a J rating(18ply), I installed a set of 187 Bridgestones on a friends Myco trailer with a 39 Velocity a couple of years ago(after he had numerous blowouts with his Goodyears) and he's never had another problem, his trailer took 225/75r16s.

Quick Reply: Need new trailer tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.