Notices

Whats the best A/T tire.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the Wrangler MT/Rs are the worst mud terrain out there, and its not even cheap!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
I need to put new tires on my Excursion, size 325-65-18 looking at the Nitto terra grapler, Toyo open country A/T, and the Mickey Thompson ATZ. I like the look of the MT ATZ but am worried about how loud it might be.
all three are a great tire .nitto sometimes has the best deals I sell alot of both the m/t and the toyo's never had any dissapointments
Old 10-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Check the tire rack.com for different tire comparisons, prices and customer comments. I have a set of Revo's and they are one of the best tires I've ever had especially on wet pavement.
Jay
Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Registered

best A/T tire in my opinion is either the BFG All Terrian KO or the Nitto Terra Grappler or Toyo Open Country (Nitto and Toyo are the same company), I sell both everyday and rarely have any comebacks with either.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Registered

i have the M/T Atz on my Excursion 325/65/18 and i love them, the wear is great have about 16k on them, they don't make much noise at all, great looking tire! would definitely buy them again.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Registered

I've had the Nitto A/Ts and the Toyo Open Country A/T's and I think they last about half as long as my old BFG AT KO's. (30K mi vs. 60+ for the BFG's)
Old 10-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I like the BFG's as well, as long as you don't leave the road with them. They load up WAY too easily off road. They wear very well, but they sometimes can require a lot of weight to balance correctly, and require re-balancing over the life of the tire.
Since the bulk of my driving with the Ex is on-road, I'm going to try the Revos next time around only due to the fact they seem to get the best reviews of any A/T tire for resistance to hydroplaning- something I find pretty important with my family inside and a load on the back. The BFGs are acceptable in the rain, but not something I'd write home to mama about.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Registered

Wasn't Mickey Thompson murdered by a business partner? I went from BF Goodrich AT to Firestone and the Firestone were much quieter.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
Wasn't Mickey Thompson murdered by a business partner?
Yeah, about twenty years ago.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If I was purchasing tires right now I would take a serious look at Pro Comp. They are running their buy 3 get 1 free promo this month. Not a bad tire for the money. If one was paying for all four I wouldn't buy them. They are a little on the pricey side. Worth the money is one jumps on board for the promo.

As for the other brands. I don't even know why we discuss this topic as much as we do. Everyone has their favorite, everyone has their least favorite. Not any one brand works for everyone.

We sell a lot of Nittos. Not a high mileage tire, but don't have problems with them either. As for the supply issue...haven't seen that problem in over two years. I think their popularity started to outweigh their supply for a short time.

BFG is an overpriced tire IMO. Not a bad tire, but then again I don't think it's a great tire either. Don't like the way they wear.

Toyo is a good option. Can't find anything bad to say about them. They don't seem to be as popular at our shop as the Nittos, but I do like them.

Mickey would be another nice choice. Gonna pay a little for them, but they do have some cool tread patterns.

I say any tire that one puts on a 3/4 ton or heavier 4wd diesel and lasts 35-40k is a good tire. We're not driving Honda Accords here folks.

Buck

Quick Reply: Whats the best A/T tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.