Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
lifted trucks and towing.. blocks or springs in the rear? >

lifted trucks and towing.. blocks or springs in the rear?

Notices

lifted trucks and towing.. blocks or springs in the rear?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

i put a 6.5 inch pro crap lift on my 03 f-350 and it felt like it was more stable. i only ran 35's cuz i was too much of a cheap a$$ to have gears installed. too bad i didn't cuz i blew both head gaskets and cracked both heads on my 6.0 diesel. just my .02 ......get the gears. i'm gonna go with a 4" lift on my 07 f-250 powerstroke. i think i will throw some bfg's on my factory 20's, they make a 35 that is E rated in all terrain. i'm anxious to see how it tows like that. my stock tires are almost 35 in diameter so i don't think i will regear, just roll the dice with my warranty. i think they've improved the 6.0 powerstroke head studs since 03.....let's hope
Tyler
Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mickey Thompson makes their MTZ line in E rated tires. Just looked quickly and i know you can get a 36 in e rated but i think you can even get the 38 in e rating. I like these tires, they look good, have a good rating, and come in some nice sizes. My buddy's f350 that we lifted with 10' ran the 38 and boy did they hold up very well. When the wife's dodge needs new tires it going to have the 35 of these.
Also Ground hawg makes a nice radial tire that is 10 ply rated (e) i think, had them on my old dodge. they come in 36- and 38's. The ride nice, look decent, and last. Those are two options for ya.
personal feeling but if you want 38's go with 10", you will be happier. and the coilovers will be the best ride out there.

oh yeah Swamper makes a radial as well that has a high load rating, but never had much luck with the ware on them. Well not like the MTZ or ground hawg

454 captiva ...they didn't fix the headbolts (they aren't studded from factory). My 05 went in for them...my dealership fixed it i so far, though the manager said if it does it again we will stud it for ya, free labor you buy the studs. He said he has had lots of problems with the 05...the 03-04 had other issue the 05 heads... but that was just his experiance and mine..since then 3 other 05's i know went to him to have heads fixed. but yours is an 07 so you should be fine, i think they fixed the head issue after 05.

Last edited by ZBODaytona; 10-09-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

The only thing I would do is level the front end with some spacers, add bags to the rear, and get some real nice wheels and tires....for a towing only vehicle. You could left it for 33-35's, but make sure you add some 4.56 or 4.11 gears depending on your desired rpm. I wouldnt go any bigger than 35's with stock axles, breaks, and trans if you tow a big boat. Save your money and buy a jeep to wheel with. It will be more fun anyway.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Then stop right now.

Lifting a truck ruins it as a serious tow vehicle. Raising the center of gravity introduces instability that cannot be compensated for. Increasing wheel diameter has the effect of increasing leverage on your braking system, reducing overall capacity. I don't know of anyone making "E" rated tires in 22" and lastly, virtually all policies exclude lifted vehicles unless specifically endorsed. If your insurer would write a rider, they would most likely exclude towing.

We got pretty deep into the physics of how lifting affects vehicle dynamics a few months back- if you want the science behind all this, run a search.
Chris, BFG, Nitto and Toyo make E rated 22s.

Sam

Last edited by Neverfastenuf; 10-15-2007 at 06:23 PM.