Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Strong diesel smell but no visble leaks? >

Strong diesel smell but no visble leaks?

Notices

Strong diesel smell but no visble leaks?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts
Default Strong diesel smell but no visble leaks?

102K Duramax has develpped a strong diesel smell coming from the front of the truck. No leaks on ground/ nothing wet in the engine compartment/ fuel filter is dry.

Any ideas? Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the valley you can not see in?...holds alot for a long time..some leaks are very hard to sniff out on d max
Old 10-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your oil level. Both of mine did this recently. The injectors let go and will start pumping fuel into the crankcase. Wouldn't really puddle under the truck, but looking at the underside of the truck all the way back, it was covered with fuel/oil mist.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Registered

Jordy, I agree, except it might not be bleeding down enough to see that yet. My 97 GMC gas BBC was doing the same thing as his diesel. Smelled like gas terribly for a several months, but it wasn't bleeding down enough to catch it anywhere. It wasn't until it started getting difficult to start that I realized what the deal was. I replaced all the injectors, the fuel rail, regulator, and wiring harness, but that's only because I got a deal on the whole thing brand new for the same cost as three injectors from the dealer.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

have the dealer balance rate the injectors for you one might be going depending on the year it was common. Also look around the fuel filter, primer are to see if it there.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Originally Posted by JPD Motorsports
have the dealer balance rate the injectors for you one might be going depending on the year it was common. Also look around the fuel filter, primer are to see if it there.
Spot on. Injectors that are "bleeding" will give this odor.

Sam
Old 10-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Do they replace all the injectors as part of the recall or just one at a time (when they break)? Truck is an 03, they sent a letter extending injector warranty to 200K miles for free.
It is going in Monday so I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Registered

I had both my trucks done within the last 3 months, one with 93K miles, one with 52K miles, and they did all the injectors at the same time. Had to pay something like a $100 deductible, and for an oil change and fuel filter. Pretty much the normal stuff we charge for at my shop on the big trucks when they come in with fuel in the oil.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the dealer have heard some that only replaced what was bad, then some that the owners pissed and moaned enough they replaced them all. i would piss and moan if it is.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Most dealers are going to only replace the injectors that are faulty. They are VERY expensive. The dealer will not get reimbursed from the factory if the injectors they send in for warranty are not actually defective.

Sam

Quick Reply: Strong diesel smell but no visble leaks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.