Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Surge brake question... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/171636-surge-brake-question.html)

Full Force 10-22-2007 04:11 PM

Surge brake question...

I just bought a 32 ft Baja with Myco trailer this year, the surge brakes do not work, got the whole system cleaned and ready to bleed, No fluid? so I disconnected the line at the tounge and I can move the tounge in and out by hand and get no fluid at all, is that like a master cylinder at the tounge? How do you fix them?

RedDog382 10-22-2007 04:55 PM

You should have a fluid reservoir at the tongue of the trailer. I lost brakes on my Eagle trailer twice when the long line running inside the frame from the tongue to the axles wore through from vibration and lost all the fluid.

happy hours 10-22-2007 05:01 PM

Yes it a master cylinder and a small shock absorber to keep it moving smoothly. Sounds like a total replacement might be the way to go, they are not that much $$.

Full Force 10-22-2007 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by RedDog382 (Post 2313694)
You should have a fluid reservoir at the tongue of the trailer. I lost brakes on my Eagle trailer twice when the long line running inside the frame from the tongue to the axles wore through from vibration and lost all the fluid.

It was empty when I got it, I filled it and I was trying to bleed it, thats when I realized it was not working.

Chris Sunkin 10-22-2007 06:21 PM

Surge brakes, even when operating, aren't worth a $hit. If you have truck braking problems (like overheating) there's nothing to cause a surge and engage your trailer brakes.

Full Force 10-22-2007 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2313777)
Surge brakes, even when operating, aren't worth a $hit. If you have truck braking problems (like overheating) there's nothing to cause a surge and engage your trailer brakes.

That is true, but they would be better then the none I have now! I towed it 2 times just to use the boat a little I was fine with a F250 but I want brakes foe next year, not real safe without them.

Old Navy 10-22-2007 07:38 PM

I upgraded from drums to Kodiak discs on my trailer. Every part of the surge brake system needed replacement anyway.( MC, lines, dampners, etc). My boat and trailer is probably 8k lbs going down the road. I am extremely happy with the performance of the braking system, especially last night when a deer ran out in front of me, and it lived to run out in front of cars another day.

fountainemp 10-22-2007 07:52 PM

surge brake ques

Originally Posted by 245 limited (Post 2313613)
I just bought a 32 ft Baja with Myco trailer this year, the surge brakes do not work, got the whole system cleaned and ready to bleed, No fluid? so I disconnected the line at the tounge and I can move the tounge in and out by hand and get no fluid at all, is that like a master cylinder at the tounge? How do you fix them?

disconnect the safety chain and put a pipe on the cylinder and pump the brakes up that way. this takes two people to do this so take your time.

Chris Sunkin 10-22-2007 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 245 limited (Post 2313813)
That is true, but they would be better then the none I have now! I towed it 2 times just to use the boat a little I was fine with a F250 but I want brakes foe next year, not real safe without them.

You have a point.:)

Let me re-phrase- if you're going to start spending money on your brakes, why not spend it on a safe, reliable system you can depend on?

monstermaker 11-14-2007 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2313777)

I couldn't agree more, and I'll add that you can't control them independently or adjust them relative to the truck... but on a boat trailer, you're kinda' stuck with them. Electric brakes hate getting dunked in lakes, and most of us aren't using trucks with air brakes.