Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Any big hills southbound I-79 from PA to Charleston, WV? >

Any big hills southbound I-79 from PA to Charleston, WV?

Notices

Any big hills southbound I-79 from PA to Charleston, WV?

Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any big hills southbound I-79 from PA to Charleston, WV?

I'm trailering the boat down to FL next week from Pittsburgh. If I take 79 South, I save about 70 miles. I know that road is very twisty, but I didn't know if it had any large hills that I would have to worry about going down going south...

I know if I take 81 / 77 southbound to Charlotte instead, there's a large hill going into NC (I think). But I don't remember how steep it is.

I'm just worried about losing control on the long descents. I'll be towing with a CXT w/ air brakes and triple axle brakes on the trailer, but I still don't want to take any more chances than necessary...

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

79 South to 68 East to 70E/270 South and down 495 (around West side of Washington) to 95 South is my preferred path.

I can't STAND I-81. The truck traffic is horrendous, and they are absolute assh0les when it comes to dominating the road.

If you take the route that I mention above; just make sure you schedule the entire DC area outside of 6A-9A and 2P-6P.

If you take the above path, and go down I-95 through Richmond, I also suggest staying on I-95 through downtown Richmond, and NOT I-295 around the East side. I-295 is a HORRENDOUS road with way to many concrete joints and really bad bumps that have a tendency to throw trailers off the hitch ball.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-28-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered

Brian,

Thanks for the advice! Now you got me thinking. I think I'm going to do the PA Turnpike east and end up taking 81 south far enough to cut over on 64 east to pick up 95 in Richmond and head straight down from there.

Looks like there's a beltway around the west / southwest of Richmond (288) that should put me right back on 95 south.

That way I'll avoid the DC beltway completely.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

288 will take you around the South/West sides of Richmond. Its not Interstate, but it is 4 lane divided highway with little to no lights. Its fairly desolate out there, so don't plan on getting fuel on that stretch, as anything that will be there probably will not accommodate a large truck/trailer.

That's not a bad plan, as you get off of 81 before it gets really crappy with hills/mountains and associated ills of truck traffic.

Good luck. Are you going to Key West? If so, see you there.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-29-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Registered

Thanks! Not going to Key West - keeping the boat on Marco Island so I can use it when I go down periodically this winter!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered

No,

I live in Morgantown and work in Bridgeport, two cities you will pass through south of the burgh.

No major long grades or super steep decent.

Actually south of the Weston ext it is almost a down grade to flat.

It is all major 4 lane interstate.

Last edited by Dblvanos; 10-29-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coming south on 77 ouf WV is a little rough on the turnpike. Windy and downhill at points. There is about a 10 mile stretch at the VA NC border that is pretty tough. Lots of truck escape ramps.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

On a long steep road just drop to 35mph and keep at that speed and you will not hurt the truck or boat. I do it all the time with a large boat behind me
Old 10-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't STAND I-81. The truck traffic is horrendous, and they are absolute ass0les when it comes to dominating the road.
Brian...
If I'm out of line here I will delete this post with no hard feelings. I myself was one of those assh0les for over 15 years on I-81. This was my main route from NY-CA or NY-FL to avoid traffic congestion. As you know the appalachians are nothing but climbs and descends. Its all about momentum when your on top of 80,000lbs trying to make a delivery appointment and dont mean maybe. While in the right lane approaching a slower vehicle the worse thing is to apply the brakes. Yeah there is bad apples in every bunch no matter which profession they are in. But you need to remember that those assh0les are the first responders in the middle of the night when a car flips onto the median. Or when disaster strikes with a flip of a switch to supply people in need. This is a profession ALOT of people do not respect. Nor do they realize that everything that surrounds you was bought via truck in one way or another. Once again I do not mean to stir up any sh*t but rather set things straight with 'em assh0les.

CB, There is a major grade on I-77 east of Wythville. I think its a 6% grade with runaway ramps as you approach the NC state line. I am not too familiar with the terrain from Pittsburgh to Wythville,VA. As a rule of thumb...if you see a truck speed limit approaching a hill you need to keep it at that. Just make sure your brakes are up to snuff
Old 10-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cig1988
Brian...
If I'm out of line here I will delete this post with no hard feelings. I myself was one of those assh0les for over 15 years on I-81. This was my main route from NY-CA or NY-FL to avoid traffic congestion. As you know the Appalachians are nothing but climbs and descends. Its all about momentum when your on top of 80,000lbs trying to make a delivery appointment and don't mean maybe. While in the right lane approaching a slower vehicle the worse thing is to apply the brakes. Yeah there is bad apples in every bunch no matter which profession they are in. But you need to remember that those assh0les are the first responders in the middle of the night when a car flips onto the median. Or when disaster strikes with a flip of a switch to supply people in need. This is a profession ALOT of people do not respect. Nor do they realize that everything that surrounds you was bought via truck in one way or another. Once again I do not mean to stir up any sh*t but rather set things straight with 'em assh0les.
Your post is definately not out of line. I can understand and appreciate your thoughts, and I appreciate you posting them. They are not all idiots. Obviously, they drive for a living, so they must know what they are doing. It just seems like every time I run on I-81, I find two trucks that decide to run side/side for 15 miles. That, and they pull out to pass at the most inopportune times with little to no signal. I can understand the momentum concept; but if they know its coming, how about letting someone else know? I have overheated my trailer brakes several times due to other people's poor driving habits on I-81, and I have only towed on it twice. The rest of my I-81 travel is by car; and I imagine they respect cars a little differently than a F-350 dually with 44' of boat/trailer in tow; as I can see the difference. I respect truckers; and there are a lot of worse drivers in other than tractor-trailers. However, they really show their true merit when they do something stupid. A fully loaded truck damn near killed my GF a few weeks ago when I was following her, and he lost a LOT of time and momentum when I got in front of him.

Again, thanks for your post. I am not jaded against all of them, just the assh0les.

Quick Reply: Any big hills southbound I-79 from PA to Charleston, WV?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.