Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Using trailer for 26-28ft boat for a 25ft boat >

Using trailer for 26-28ft boat for a 25ft boat

Notices

Using trailer for 26-28ft boat for a 25ft boat

Old 11-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Using trailer for 26-28ft boat for a 25ft boat

I have a Baja 25 Outlaw, I currently don't have a trailer, but found a used Alum trailer meant for a bigger boat. The distance from the end of the bunks to the bow stop adjusted all the way back is about 23'6". My boats dimensions from the transom to the bow eye is 22'. The bunks only overhang the rear of the trailer frame by a foot, so if I load the boat all the way to the bow stop, the rear of the boat will be inside the end of the frame, and probably cause high tongue weight.

The trailer mfg said I could get a new cross member for the front of the trailer, but a whole new tongue should be installed to the new cross member, not to just put a stubby between the two crossmembers to mount the bow stop/winch. I should be able to then adjust where to center the boat to get the right tongue weight.

Am I biting off more than I should by trying to make it work? I could save a couple grand campared to the cost of a new trailer of the proper size. I might need to move my boat cross country, so it would need to be safe for long distances.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my boat and trailer together and the previous owner, had plans of upgrading to from the 28' to 30'-32' and when he had the trailer built they left the additional length at the front of the trailer. It has pulled fine, but takes a little more space to store. My hull is a 26’ and the overall trailer is 36’.