Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Towing 15,000 # boats and truck ratings >

Towing 15,000 # boats and truck ratings

Notices

Towing 15,000 # boats and truck ratings

Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My insurance company is USAA.. but getting it in writing probably wouldn't hurt.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just googled 01 Ford f250 (that's what I have) tow capacities and the two sites I looked at rated this vehicle at 14,500 lbs "with class IV towing package". Then again I looked up class IV hitches and they're rated at 10,000 lbs without weight distribution.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Personally, I would like to make sure I am not overweight just in case I am involved in an accident and they try to prove I was negligent or something. Then everyone walks away and I am standing alone
Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been towing my new Cig 35 with my wife's Excursion. It has the stock hitch, unlike mine. It has Firestone airbags, Hellwig bars, Edelbrock shocks and a WD hitch setup. With the shocks at minimum pressure and the WD off, there's no way you could tow with it. With the bags pumped up and the WD on, it sits and rides perfectly level. Even over big dips at highway speeds, the thing rides and tracks like the boat and trailer are welded together into one unit. The nose of the truck never rises.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sleek1
I just googled 01 Ford f250 (that's what I have) tow capacities and the two sites I looked at rated this vehicle at 14,500 lbs "with class IV towing package". Then again I looked up class IV hitches and they're rated at 10,000 lbs without weight distribution.
I would double-check that figure, it may only be for gooseneck or 5th-wheel. My 2002 F-250 was rated for 12.5K conventional.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 AM

I'm less inclined to follow the manufacturer's recommendation and go for the "Amish engineering" approach. Build it (tow it) with what you're 100% certain won't fail on you.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:37 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my business we build in a safety factor for our products. I would guess the truck mfg's do also, so you are probably safe. But that won't stop the lawyers.

I had my boat towed once by a professional boat hauler. He recommended an F350 dually. He said it would be legal for me but NOT for him. He inferred that his CDL required the truck to be properly equipped for the job.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I've been towing my new Cig 35 with my wife's Excursion. It has the stock hitch, unlike mine. It has Firestone airbags, Hellwig bars, Edelbrock shocks and a WD hitch setup. With the shocks at minimum pressure and the WD off, there's no way you could tow with it. With the bags pumped up and the WD on, it sits and rides perfectly level. Even over big dips at highway speeds, the thing rides and tracks like the boat and trailer are welded together into one unit. The nose of the truck never rises.
I know you're kidding.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by pookie
I know you're kidding.
No, seriously. For around town or short distances, I was pleasantly surprised. It's within the weight rating. I wouldn't want to do a cross-country haul with is but it's not as unpleasant as you might suspect.

There's no way I'd do anythging beyond moving it across the yard at the shop with no bags or bars.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by rjr
In my business we build in a safety factor for our products. I would guess the truck mfg's do also, so you are probably safe. But that won't stop the lawyers.

That used to be the case with the auto manufacturers. In recent years, the marketing guys have elbowed the engineers out of the way on tow ratings- all in the name of one-upping their competitors. Currently the government is looking at establishing uniform standards and imposing them on the automakers.

Quick Reply: Towing 15,000 # boats and truck ratings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.