Notices

2000 353 with Dual Axle Trailer

Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A triple will tow better going down the highway. A tandem will turn better. Do you have to make sharp turns regularly?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never had a boat over 30' on anything other than a triple-axle trailer. I don't care if I have to by 6 new marathons every season, there's no f-ing way. I've lost a tire at highway speeds with triples- it's squirrely. With a dual I doubt you'd get it under control and stopped on just one- it would probably pop.

If they're Myco steel trailers, my guess is a 3rd axle could be added- it would require a new fender too.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. At my old house it was tight backing the boat into my drive so I used to have to make tight turns (also at a lot of gas stations). I'm not going dual axle, too much to risk IMO.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Registered

All the doom and gloom over a tandem...I don't get it. There's thousands of tandem axle enclosed car haulers out there with 10-12k ratings, I had one myself. If a heavy tandem was such a death trap, I doubt they'd continue to be built. Set it up properly, load it right, connect it right, inspect the condition and maintain the condition.

Tandem doom and gloom aside, a triple would probably offer a bit of an easier tow since there's one more axle trying to go straight. I considered a tandem, but there was no $ saved once the running gear was upgraded, and more importantly the boat would've sat higher meaning a deeper ramp might be needed. But I wouldn't avoid a boat just because the trailer wasn't ideal; work it in the deal.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
All the doom and gloom over a tandem...I don't get it. There's thousands of tandem axle enclosed car haulers out there with 10-12k ratings, I had one myself. If a heavy tandem was such a death trap, I doubt they'd continue to be built. Set it up properly, load it right, connect it right, inspect the condition and maintain the condition.

Tandem doom and gloom aside, a triple would probably offer a bit of an easier tow since there's one more axle trying to go straight. I considered a tandem, but there was no $ saved once the running gear was upgraded, and more importantly the boat would've sat higher meaning a deeper ramp might be needed. But I wouldn't avoid a boat just because the trailer wasn't ideal; work it in the deal.
True, but:

Most of the tandems are pulled with Weight Distribution Hitches, which adds weight stability and sway control when done right; along with electric brakes. --Majority of boat trailers are with Weight Carrying hitches, and surge brakes which only work well when going straight.

Most of the tandems should be, or are fairly easily adjusted for balanced load placement depending on where you strap in the vehicles. --Majority of boat trailers are tail heavy due to the engines/concentration of weight behind the rear axle(s).

You also inadvertently bring up another good point on the triple. With a triple axle trailer, you will be able to use a shorter ramp, since you will have an axle a little further forward than with just a tandem. With low water levels everywhere, and tides; short ramps are definitely a problem.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-28-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Registered

Most of the tandems are pulled with Weight Distribution Hitches
Hit the drag strip on a Saturday night...bet the count is less than 50%.

Most of the tandems should be, or are fairly easily adjusted for balanced load placement depending on where you strap in the vehicles. --Majority of boat trailers are tail heavy due to the engines/concentration of weight behind the rear axle(s).
I'm no engineer, but tongue weight is tongue weight isn't it? 10% of 10k is 1k no matter how many axles you have. If the axle location is the fulcrum, more axles = more area you have to distribute weight and therefore the more axles you have, the more weight needs to be forward to get to 10% tongue weight. I think?

You also inadvertently bring up another good point on the triple.
Nope, I meant to do that

A heavy tandem is not a guarantied trip to the nearest ditch. Even with a blowout, it's controllable. You want scary? Lose a front tire on the tow vehicle. THAT is a trip to the ditch...
Old 11-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a blow out on a 10,000lb tandem axle trailer on the interstate, and it was no big deal to control. Twice. And "No", my truck's not a dually.

Once even blew the rear tire on the suburban pulling the same trailer down a steep hill on I-70 towards LOTO. That was not a big deal either. In fact, the trailer probably acted like a sea anchor and stabilized the whole rig.

Yes, it is a steel Myco, but they use Dexter axles, like most other trailer makers do too.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that triples tend to sway much worse then the dual axel rigs I have towed. That includes box trailers for race cars, boats, and utility trailers.

Most utility trailers are also dual axel. Most of them are rated for WAY more then the boat you are looking at.

I had a bearing explode on mine at about 50 and it was not big deal. Just took off the tire and drove slow on the other wheel.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 203 Likes on 131 Posts

My 86 baja 320 is on na dual axle Myco, no issues, I was worried at first when I saw it thinking it was too heavy for it, then I figured if it was made by Myco to fit that boat then it must be safe, they are not going to make a trailer for a boat that is too heavy for it,usually a too big of boat on a small trailer is user error, not the people building the trailer.
Mine does have hydraulic brakes off the tounge, I will be going electric soon just because the hydraulics have no way to work if you start losing control, with electrics you can grab the controller to pull it straight if need be.

Last edited by Full Force; 12-02-2007 at 08:02 AM.