Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
How to buy an $7K to $11K car for $2,500 >

How to buy an $7K to $11K car for $2,500

Notices

How to buy an $7K to $11K car for $2,500

Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Zudnic
I had an 1988, 1986, Vette. My Dad had an 1985 928S and then he traded up to an 87 and after 88 S4. A friends Mom owned maybe still does, lost contact, A GM and a Pontiac store. Guess what he would get for a driver. Off the line the Vette except a ZR-1 in the early 90's could pull off the line against the 1985 till about 70mph, then it was forget about it. In the S4 my friend was looking for a super charger kit! Also had a guy in a 95' Vette accuse and looking for nitrious!

After owning Vettes still like them, in fact thinking about getting an 1986/7 because I like the style. But over all the 928 is a better built and performing car. I sold a 1993 GTS, you can find those at around $18K and up. To a lawyer who had a C5 Vette, the latter was a little bit faster, but the GTS for long distance comfort and overall quality was a much better car.

I'm driving to Vegas unless my older brother and new wife meet my parents as well, then I'm going to LA. Deciding on MB 500sl or 928. While in Vegas I'm going to house shop in Henderson, so I'll prove that they are decent performers if I bring one.................

Top Gears Jeremy Clarkson is not a P-car fan and his co-host Richard Hammond owns 2 928's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVQt_RCyjcs
Bring the Porsche! Maybe we can work a deal on my house in Henderson! What are you looking for? What part of Henderson?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CBR
Good find Zudnic!

One of the Top Gear crew guys owns a 1968 Mustang GT optioned out like the Bullet car (but with stripes).

Kinda hard to beat a slightly used newer Mustang GT that you can hop up and not worry about wrecking the collectible status of the car IMO. Tons of Kewl Mustang "tuner" cars out there, for fairly cheap prices. Also late 1990 Firebirds and Camaros are cheap and extremely cool cars. I drive a 100% stock 1996 WS6 that stops traffic like a new Ferrari.

See the stang thread on here also.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/use...113/index.html
I bought a brand new 2000 GT convertable 5 speed and it was a lot of fun (the ex has it now). I do like the new Mustangs. Also considered WS6 and SS Camaros. They are all nice cars but I do like what a car like a Vette or a Porsche has that the others do not, a bit more exclusivity. Also the appeal of a higher quality build in the Porsche kind of has my interest. I sold my Lexus LS400 a little while ago and then my Vette. I always said I'd like to have a car that has the power and handling of the Vette with the quality and smoothness of the Lexus.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:29 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the ex. Our WS6 Formula Firebird is one of 55 red automatics made in 1996 (grand total of 524), hence, rarer than most Ferraris. And, with 144,000 miles and still looking brand new, beats the hell out of Ferrari for reliability too. <gg>

I never tire of telling folks that this is the car that destroyed BMW for five years in a row, sweeping the IMSA street stock road race championship! The Firebird Formulas also won numerous drag racing championships, plus the Car and Driver series of races/rallies, so it really is an incredible championship car.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Registered

Deffinately can get a lot of bang for the buck with those cars. I have worked on quite a few and for short money, can make them go really fast. Mostly what I'm looking for is a car like that, that is fast, reliable and fairly economical which those are. Not crazy about the big heavy doors but other than that, they are hard to beat. I no longer go to car shows and don't care much what other people think about my car but I am selling my hot rod which gets tons of looks and comments so I may miss it a little bit. It can be fun to have a serious "look at me" car and my hot rod certainly fits that bill. Plus, because I built the car, it kind of says a little bit about me and my abilities but I guess a modded F body car could do the same. Still want to take a look at the 928 though. Smoothness and refinement may take over now that I'm getting a bit older!
Attached Thumbnails How to buy an K to K car for ,500-164-6435_img.jpg   How to buy an K to K car for ,500-164-6440_img.jpg   How to buy an K to K car for ,500-164-6410_img.jpg  

Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Registered

Had a couple 928 here too , love the cars. Was looking at vettes and they all rattled so bad I hated them. Work on porsches and decided that was the way to go. I beat them like I stole them end they held up very well. Parts , you have to do some searching but there are good dealer alternatives for oem parts. Car is very balanced with the tranny in the back. Both I had were automatics , hard to kill that mercedes trans and that little 7.5 in double disc clutch set costs more than the complete auto trans. Nice collection , find me a gt !!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Registered

C4's rattle a bit but C5's are much better. The C4 uses a dual mass flywheel and is expensive to replace (like $1200) but there are aftermarket setups for less $. Is the Porsche clutch like that? I definately want a stick shift car. Are there any aftermarket alternatives to the factory clutch?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Registered

Hammond is a Steve McQueen fan.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MneTKjKHG0Q[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOOyeGl9ch8[/YOUTUBE]

When the Pope visited Vancouver for Expo. The RCMP set up a defensive driving track at Boundary Bay airport. My Dad and I ended up racing one of their 5.0 Mustangs, the Cop lost too the 928. It was close. I by accident raced one off the lights on No 3rd. in Richmond and not only lost she gave me a ticket, but not for speeding. Failure to yield for a sign.

Not sure what area of Henderson and Vegas. My Mom is in the midst of a cancer scare, so parental units want to stay with for a few months. I just want weekend vacation 24/7 adult entertainment and Lake Mead!

might be gone but idea of what I'm looking at:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/apa/458955579.html

http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/...gNumber=436599

http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/...gNumber=457596

http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/...gNumber=730307
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is some of my 90 GTS original 54,000miles, and it's a 5 speed.
Attached Thumbnails How to buy an K to K car for ,500-digital-pictures-136.jpg   How to buy an K to K car for ,500-digital-pictures-141.jpg   How to buy an K to K car for ,500-digital-pictures-138.jpg  

Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Waterboy123
Here is some of my 90 GTS original 54,000miles, and it's a 5 speed.
Very nice, clean car! Is it for sale? I could help you out with your boatless problem!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Registered

Dang it, Zudnic! Why did you have to post those videos? Now you got me thinking about old muscle cars! I sold my 510CI/727HP '69 Camaro about a year ago and miss it a lot. I'd love to have another muscle car. They can be very fast torque monsters, extremely cool and great fun to powerslide around the corners. Gas mileage absolutely sucks though and they are not very refined (loud, rattles, vibration, wind noise, etc). Great fun around town but not so good for long distance travel.

On the house thing, lots of inventory here and like most places now, a buyers market. Plenty to choose from. Let me know if I can help.
Attached Thumbnails How to buy an K to K car for ,500-150-5008_img.jpg   How to buy an K to K car for ,500-142-4214_img.jpg   How to buy an K to K car for ,500-141-4196_img.jpg  

Quick Reply: How to buy an $7K to $11K car for $2,500

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.