Notices

? For Ford Guys

Old 12-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ? For Ford Guys

FORD EXPEDITION BLEW A SPARK PLUG OUT AND SHOP IS TELLING MY FRIEND ITS GOING TO BE 3K BECAUSE THEY NEED TO REWORK BOTH HEADS AND HELIARC ALL THE SPARK PLUG HOLEs AND CHANGE THE TIMING BELT.

I TOLD HIM HE JUST NEEDS TO FIX THE ONE SPARK PLUG AND THE TRUCK WILL BE JUST LIKE IT WAS BEFORE.

ARE THERE ANY PROBLEMS WITH DOING THIS?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

I'm guessing they need/want to Heli-Coil the threads, not heli-arc weld them... but it's probably not bad from a preventative maintenance angle, to do them all, if one has already blown out. I agree with you, probably would run fine for now, with just fixing the one cylinder.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
I'm guessing they need/want to Heli-Coil the threads, not heli-arc weld them... but it's probably not bad from a preventative maintenance angle, to do them all, if one has already blown out. I agree with you, probably would run fine for now, with just fixing the one cylinder.
they want to charge him 3k. chit for 3k he could have the whole GD engine rebuilt. It only has 130k miles on it.
Yes sorry i did meen heli-coil.

I just don't see a need to do all of the holes. Or change the timing belt/chain.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should be able to Helicoil that one hole, there are plenty of creative ways to do it without removing the head. I can see their point, they don't want to 'own' that engine if another one lets go. BUT, you own the vehicle, it's your choice. If they can't/won't fix that one cylinder, find someone who will.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Registered

Dr Feelgood is correct, prolly just heli-coil one hole.

I have even done them with the heads on the car, just put grease on the tools to catch the chips. tell him to bring it to me, I'll do it for $1000
Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do an insert in just one hole. Can be done without removal.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fabricator
They should be able to Helicoil that one hole, there are plenty of creative ways to do it without removing the head. I can see their point, they don't want to 'own' that engine if another one lets go. BUT, you own the vehicle, it's your choice. If they can't/won't fix that one cylinder, find someone who will.
Thats what i told him so the mechanic started to feed him a bunch of chit like the timing won't be right and some other bullchit. I told him to take it else where that they are trying to fu9k him.

He found a shop that is going to just the one hole.

Do mechanics think everyone is dumb?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Dr Feelgood is correct, prolly just heli-coil one hole.

I have even done them with the heads on the car, just put grease on the tools to catch the chips. tell him to bring it to me, I'll do it for $1000
I told him i would d it if he wanted me to but for some reason he doe not trust me
he was on the boat after i rebuilt my engine the first time last summer and BOOM. so that is stuck in his mind
Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
Thats what i told him so the mechanic started to feed him a bunch of chit like the timing won't be right and some other bullchit. I told him to take it else where that they are trying to fu9k him.

He found a shop that is going to just the one hole.

Do mechanics think everyone is dumb?
How can putting a thread insert into a hole change the timing???

Maybe i should go back to mechanics school, cuz they never taught me that one
Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
I told him i would d it if he wanted me to but for some reason he doe not trust me
he was on the boat after i rebuilt my engine the first time last summer and BOOM. so that is stuck in his mind
sorry,

but that would kinda stick in my mind also

Dont feel bad though, it happens to us all, just did it with my outboard last week, third time out.

Quick Reply: ? For Ford Guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.