Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
W107 guys....Odd leak in 1989 Mercedes 560sl >

W107 guys....Odd leak in 1989 Mercedes 560sl

Notices

W107 guys....Odd leak in 1989 Mercedes 560sl

Old 12-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W107 guys....Odd leak in 1989 Mercedes 560sl

Here's an odd one.

I have developed a leak of lime green oily fluid (guessing brake fluid) from the driver's side rear body quarter panel, from the last weep hole at the rearmost lowest point.

The odd thing is, it seems to be above and behind the brake parts, as if somebody left an open container of brake fluid in the trunk.

No leaks near the closest brake assy. (Left rear wheel.)

A guess that comes to mind is a leak in a line that maybe goes through the body.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:05 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Does yours have the hydropneumatic suspension? If so, they can develop hydraulic leaks over time. It is the only other thing taht comes to mind.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by haulinvols
Does yours have the hydropneumatic suspension? If so, they can develop hydraulic leaks over time. It is the only other thing taht comes to mind.
To be honest, I don't know if I do or not.

But... I do notice that when I shift into and out of gear with the foot on the brake that the chassis seems to lift and drop. When going into drive it seems to drop an inch. Guessing yes.

The fluid is very clean, very green, and very oily. Have about a 10 inch circle on the newspaper that I laid there after a 30 minute drive on Wednesday.

No sign of any trouble around the nearest brake assy. No obvious drop in the brake fluid resevoir level.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by fund razor
To be honest, I don't know if I do or not.

But... I do notice that when I shift into and out of gear with the foot on the brake that the chassis seems to lift and drop. When going into drive it seems to drop an inch. Guessing yes.

The fluid is very clean, very green, and very oily. Have about a 10 inch circle on the newspaper that I laid there after a 30 minute drive on Wednesday.

No sign of any trouble around the nearest brake assy. No obvious drop in the brake fluid resevoir level.

The hydro suspension may be the culprit (and is sounds like you have it). I had a 560SEC a few years ago that developed a leak in the system due to a ruptured shock. For the life of me I can't remember what color the fluid was (been about 8 years). I have been lucky to have a very good tech that worked on mine, he used to work for Mercedes in Germany and he diagnosed it right away.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Registered

How does your top work? The main cylinder sit in that area and is known to fail...
Old 12-30-2007, 08:46 AM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Kims
How does your top work? The main cylinder sit in that area and is known to fail...

Ohhh, good idea. I had forgotten that the 560SL had the hydraulic top. I believe that fluid is indeed green. My 380SL did not have the hydro top and was manual. I had forgotten all about that.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by haulinvols
Ohhh, good idea. I had forgotten that the 560SL had the hydraulic top. I believe that fluid is indeed green. My 380SL did not have the hydro top and was manual. I had forgotten all about that.
560SL is a manual top too unless it's aftermarket. The W129 was the first factory SL with hydraulic top.

Last edited by Lucky Strike Jr; 12-30-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like suspension fluid, it is a special mineral oil. Could be a line, shock, or accumulator.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. It seems impossible that it is coming from the braking system.
I have a good mercedes guy (serviced it for the prior owner) but with all the salt on the roads I don't want to take it in yet.

Now there is an 18" circle under there, so I think that it must have bled out.

I need to get a shop book for this bastage.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kims
The location would have been good as a possible source, but my top is manual.

Quick Reply: W107 guys....Odd leak in 1989 Mercedes 560sl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.