Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Surge Disc vs Electric o/Hydraulic >

Surge Disc vs Electric o/Hydraulic

Notices

Surge Disc vs Electric o/Hydraulic

Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surge Disc vs Electric o/Hydraulic

Is Electric over hydraulic conversion (from surge drum) worth the money? I'm estimating $1200-1400 for the module/resevoir, break away battery, rotors, and calipers. I've had Kodiak surge disc brakes on my previous trailer and was quite happy with them. I think I paid about $160 (single braking axle). The reverse solenoid did look a little hoaky IMO and did seem to rust quickly. The only benefit to elec/hydraulic I can anticipate would be if the trailer got squirly you could manually brake the trailer at the controller in the tow vehicle to straighten out the trailer. Thoughts?

Last edited by sleek1; 02-22-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EOH is like getting your first microwave. Did the conversion last year and would never settle for nothing less. And yes you can slide the trolly to tighten the slack.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If nothing else...

If you're going down a long grade and overheat your brakes, you have no "surge" to actuate your surge brakes.

Other than that, the control difference is dramatic. Surge is crude & clunky. EoH is an extension of your trucks brakes- set up properly, you shouldn't know it's there and your truck will stop like nothing's connected.

Get brakes on all axles.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:29 AM
Registered

I personally have never towed with electric over hydraulic, but considered swapping my current surge setup out for it because I have never ever heard of somebody that regretted it. Everyone says E/H is the way to go.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I ordered my new trailer, I specified electric over hydraulic. They added only 100.00 to the price. After using it several times with large boats on it I'd say it would have been worth it at 1000.00 more. My smaller, 25' trailer has surge brakes and it's quite a difference, I certainly don't feel as though I'm in control with that setup.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Registered
VIP Member

One of the best mods I have ever done.....triple disks...I think it will stop quicker with the boat. You also have braking in reverse going down real steep ramps. If it starts dragging the truck, just reach down and give it a little break on the box.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:37 AM
BL6
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I would never buy another trailer with out. But how far do you trailer? If its just a couple miles to ramp, maybe money better spent elsewhere. If you tow greater distance or like to travel, would upgrade.
One thing for sure, there is no shortage of goofballs who pull out in front of you when trailering - drive defensively!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

There's no comparison. Elec over Hyd. is night and day better.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BL6
One thing for sure, there is no shortage of goofballs who pull out in front of you when trailering - drive defensively!

YES elec/hyd is the only way to go. I had someone pull out in front of me and IMO if I didn't have them I don't think I would have been able to stop in time. The truck does stop better when the trailer is hooked up then when not. Do it!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BL6
Yes, I would never buy another trailer with out. But how far do you trailer? If its just a couple miles to ramp, maybe money better spent elsewhere. If you tow greater distance or like to travel, would upgrade.
The 3 lakes I go to are about 35 miles one way. I'll be making some 400 mile one way trips a couple times a year. I believe you guys when you say E/H is the best system. Just wondering if it's night and day difference better than surge DISC BRAKES (not regular surge drum)? I anticipate getting the new (to me) boat in a month or two. 35' w/triple axle trailer. I wouldn't split hairs over this subject but I have a big outlay of cash on a limited budget. I want to put up a boat shelter $2500 and pave a third drive for the boat $3500. Not to mention the purchase price of the boat.

Quick Reply: Surge Disc vs Electric o/Hydraulic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.