Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Why never to buy a FORD!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/180871-why-never-buy-ford.html)

29KILROY 02-27-2008 08:26 AM

Why never to buy a FORD!!!

Okay here is my rant...I am a huge GM Man so this is just fuel for my fire! My wife has a Ford Explorer Limited that she bought before we were married. I got a recall letter from ford stating their is a problem with the Cruise control causing fires. I took it in last July 07' and they unplugged it stating the part would be avaliable in august. Since they uplugged it the Cruise, Anti Locks do not work!!!! Well I just called Ford and they said the parts are still back ordered until June of 08' That is Customer Satisfaction!!!!!

Update: January 17, 2008

Cars:

Parts for the cruise control switch recall will be available sometime in February 2008. Affected customers will receive a postcard from recall headquarters instructing them to make an appointment with their dealer to have the recall completed.
Trucks:

Parts for the cruise control switch recall will be available in the second quarter, 2008.Affected customers will receive a postcard when parts are available from recallheadquarters instructing them to make an appointment with their dealer to have the recallcompleted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ford is conducting a voluntary safety recall involving speed control deactivation switch systems in 3.6 million vehicles.

happy hours 02-27-2008 08:44 AM

I too own an Explorer and have purposely not taken it in for the cruise recall, I am hoping it catches fire and burns in my driveway.

hunster 02-27-2008 08:47 AM

All they do is unplug the cruise @ the module under the hood. Had the same issue with my expy. Watched the tech unplug the cruise harness and tape the plug. In a month or so they called me with the parts in. They just replaced the connector on the plug.

Chris Sunkin 02-27-2008 10:16 AM

And GM never has problems like this? Uh huh.

29KILROY 02-27-2008 10:23 AM

I never said they didn't, I am just speaking about this issue and how it is being handled. Almost a year to fix a recall is crazy! Do a search on the net and wait until you see the list...Ford by far has the most recalls!

Tow-N-One 02-27-2008 10:35 AM

All manufacturers have recalls, but this seems more like a parts issue. I will say this, when GM issues a recall, all there duck are in a row as far as customer notification/parts availability.:hitfan:

Edward R. Cozzi 02-27-2008 10:40 AM

A recall tells me the manufacturer is interested in customer safety and satisfaction no matter what brand it is.

I'm surprised they would handle it like you describe.

czy40p 02-27-2008 10:46 AM

Recalls tell me the NHTSA is about whack them over the head if they do not do something now.

sleeper_dave 02-27-2008 11:00 AM

I took my navigator in for other work, and they did the recall. Disabling my cruise control. I plugged it back in in the parking lot before I left the dealership.

They got the parts in a few months later and fixed it.

The problem is a bad switch in the master cylinder that cracks and shorts out with the brake fluid, causing a fire. The fix is to add a fuse inline with the switch so that if it shorts out, the fuse will blow before enough heat is generated to cause a fire.

fountain 47 sc 02-27-2008 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2462263)
And GM never has problems like this? Uh huh.

The last (and I mean last) GM truck I had I replaced every major part at least TWICE and many parts 3 times. As you can expect, customer service was much as your experience with Ford only over a much longer period with many more than just a few problems. Since then I have had 3 Fords. In contrast, they have been an absolute pleasure!
Name a part, and I'll tell you the story!:party-smiley-004: