Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anybody here ride a GASGAS dirtbike? >

Anybody here ride a GASGAS dirtbike?

Notices

Anybody here ride a GASGAS dirtbike?

Old 04-19-2008, 12:12 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody here ride a GASGAS dirtbike?

I can get an EC250 for $7200 or an EC300 for $7300. Both w/o the usual head and taillights an enduro should have. Sound right? Guy wants a couple grand to even go get the things out of a warehouse in KC(3hrs away.) I want this deal to work, but I can get a yamaha WR250F for much less hassel and less lots less money. I like, and still ride, two strokes.....so im kinda biased, but not ready to get gypped.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the 300. Nice bike with lots of great parts but the handling was weird. The Yam is a great bike and with a few bucks you can trick it up a bit and way outclass the performance of the GG. Having said all that, I still wouldn't buy another new woods bike that wasn't a KTM. I'm on my 5th and will never go back to Jap bikes.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:48 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Had the 300. Nice bike with lots of great parts but the handling was weird. The Yam is a great bike and with a few bucks you can trick it up a bit and way outclass the performance of the GG. Having said all that, I still wouldn't buy another new woods bike that wasn't a KTM. I'm on my 5th and will never go back to Jap bikes.

How was the handling weird? How was it in slow technical stuff rocks and roots on hills.

The yamaha turns into a really nice bike with just the free mods (airbox, muffler insert, throttle stop, and grey wire) and the AIS removal $50, and jet kit $85.

My bud has one of the new KTM 300's with e-start. Cool bike. Im really looking for something that will provide very good, trackable, low speed crawling etc. The woods and rocks we ride can get very tight and very hairy at times. THe husky WR250 does NOT have a good gearing selection. Gasgas and KTMs are about the only options if I stick with another 2-smoke wide ratio. Ive been on a new CRF250X and liked it. 4-stroke does not scare me but I still like 2smokes.

Last edited by tblrklakemo; 04-20-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was "quirky" at best. I think they have too much rake in the front end which is great for high speeds but it was tough to steer precisely when bouncing on rocks & such and going between trees. I like to know exactly where the bike is going and the GG didn't give me that feel.

I still have my KX250 GNCC bike. I've modified the hell out of it to make it woods-capable. I just don't ride it anymore. The KTM is so much better in those conditions. The 4-stroke is way more pleasant to ride. You only think you're going slower because they're quieter. My 520 will get me into trouble really fast. Plus, I hope to never kick start another dirt bike again. Electric start is WONDERFUL.

If you have interest in a used bike, I have a 400MXC- basically has the SX power and the enduro gearing. Electric start, full lighting, street-legal titled. It was my son's- he's now in college and it's done nothing but sit for the last year. I'll make someone a stellar deal on it. i don't think it's been ridden more than a dozen times- all sunny-day trail rides.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 04-20-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

I have thought about moding my YZ250 for better woods rideing. I already have a flywheel weight and a gnarly pipe. I guess dropping a tooth in the front and adding a couple in the back would really help.......but I would rather keep the YZ suited for MX b/c its so darn fast right now. I REALLY liked the e-start on the CRFX and the low first gear so Ill probably get one of those or a WR or a KTM maybe.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,070 Likes on 283 Posts

I have a wr250f and its one hell of a bike. Will outrun and oput accelerate my friends KTM 200 2-stroke everyday and i dont have to rebuild mine every 50 miles. Awesome Bike!!
Attached Thumbnails Anybody here ride a GASGAS dirtbike?-img_1323-small-.jpg  
Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm partial to the Honda crfx. I have around 1200 off road miles on the bike in 2.5 years. Right now the forks are kicking my ass, need to re-do them, but I've been slacking.

Got mine street legal, if I can do it in Jersey, I'm sure you can do it anywhere. Cheap to. KTM's are all around 8-9k here , and dealers are not moving from MSRP due to being street legal. Right next to the 525's is a 450x for 5300. I don't like the ktm non-linkage suspension... some love it, some hate it.

I'd pick any of the big 4, or ktm over GG. Parts availability is absolutely key on dirt bikes.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Gg Seems Like A Cool Bike But Getting Parts Could Be A Real Hassle,my Son Had A Ktm 07 Sx250f Blew 2 Gear After 2 Ride Took 6 Months To Get Fix,parts Back Ordered,great Bike But Bought A Honda Crf250r,likes The Handling Of Honda Better And Can Get Parts Fast,dirt Bikes Like Boats Do Break And Need Repair From Time To Time,something To Think About.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:47 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

fast fun.....did you do the free mods on your WR? Muffler insert, AIS, throttle stop, snorkle, and grey wire?

Joe.....have you had the valve clearance issues that the CRFX's are known to have? Ive been on my buds crfx and I loved the bike. Ive always had yamahas so a honda sounded fun....until I heard the about valve thing.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Thats good Chris- someone always needs to be second!!

Quick Reply: Anybody here ride a GASGAS dirtbike?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.