Notices

Bearing Protectors

Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing Protectors

I'm trying to get everything set up on my trailer for the drive down to florida later this year. Awhile back I purchased 2 sets of bearing protectors with the zerk fitting and the springs. I havnt installed them yet but recently have read a couple places that it's not a good idea to install these. What do you guys think?
Also, how do you support your drive when trailering? I've seen the clips for the rams. I've always connected a ratchet strap from each stern eye and supported the drive with that. Is this enough support? I think its more than two plastic pieces, but I'm not exactly sure what I need to be supporting.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't dunk your trailer, they're not necessary. If you use launch ramps, your warm bearings hitting that cool water causes rapid contraction, drawing waterinto your bearings. Bearing Buddies will stop that from happening, Bearing Buddy also makes a reinforced o-ring seal that replaces the standard lip seals in your hubs. They're much more effective. I can't imagine how anyone could make an argument for not using them. It's a foolproof way of knowing that your bearings are well-greased.

Since you didn't say what drive you have, we'll assume it's a Merc. They don't need support when towing. If it bleeds down, you have either pump or ram problems. When you're running, those two rams are called upon to carry substantially more force than the drive weighs.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Registered

I allways strap the outdrives up, you can at anytime lose a seal on the ram or rams which could drop the drive while trailering. I have seen it happen to others, not worth the possability of damaging a drive.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Registered

Sorry, forgot to mention the possibility of the hoses breaking from age.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I use the clips on the rams for support each outdrive each time I pull out of the water. They work well.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered

The axels that I have now have zerk fittings on the very end of the spindles. Should I just give em a bunch of grease, remove the zerks and install the bearing protectors?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by brwn234
The axels that I have now have zerk fittings on the very end of the spindles. Should I just give em a bunch of grease, remove the zerks and install the bearing protectors?
No, don't remove the zerks. Then all of the grease will back out as the axle warms.

You want to find and use these dust caps at the top of this page. You should be able to find these at any local trailer shop for your application.

http://www.championtrailers.com/dust_caps.html
Old 06-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Registered

The protectors that I already bought http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=189
They're spring loaded and have a zerk on the front. I had them on my last trailer but the spindles didnt have zerks on the end of them.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QOTE=brwn234;2576473]The protectors that I already bought http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=189
They're spring loaded and have a zerk on the front. I had them on my last trailer but the spindles didnt have zerks on the end of them.[/QUOTE]

The axles you have now with the grease fitting are the best system. The grease goes from the center of the spindle out. The other style you bought are for axles that don't have the fitting. Just replace the dust cap with the one with the rubber plug in the center and just make sure you give them a pump or two. It's best done after a tow when things flow better.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by brwn234
The protectors that I already bought http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=189
They're spring loaded and have a zerk on the front. I had them on my last trailer but the spindles didnt have zerks on the end of them.
You could use the Bearing Buddies which you have bought, but they are really not for the axles that you have. With the Bearing Buddies that you have, all you are going to do when you add grease is put grease on the outside of the outermost bearing.

Your spindle with the grease zerk adds new grease from inside of the two bearings and pushes them out in both directions, which is a much better way to disperse new grease and push water out; from the center out.

If you get the dust caps as linked above, you pop out the little rubber dust center, and add grease to the zerk on the end of the spindle. If you do ever dip in the water, you can actually see the water get pushed out to the front, and you can dab out out with a towel.

I like the dust caps, because you can pop out the dust cap, and take a look at things, which the wheel and everything still on.

Quick Reply: Bearing Protectors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.