Notices

Repaint Boat Trailer

Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repaint Boat Trailer

Has anyone repainted a trailer? If so how did you go about it or who did you have do it? Cost?

I have a 2004 25' Nordic Rage factory trailer that is stored out doors (w/o boat) in Missouri. The paint is literally falling off the metal in spots do to rust where there is zero breach of the paint film integrity. Anywhere there are nicks/chips in the paint that is rusting profusely as well. I have had other boat trailers with epoxy and with Imron paint and they held up very well in similar environment. The paint itself on the Nordic trailer seems to be porous and allowing mositure to migrate through it. I imagine I will have to strip the paint, sand blast the rust and then prepaint. I need all the help/guidance I can get on how best to do this.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sandblast, then use either POR15 or Chassis Saver to seal the metal. Overcoat with Rustoleum 9100 Epoxy or Imron.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Sandblast, then use either POR15 or Chassis Saver to seal the metal. Overcoat with Rustoleum 9100 Epoxy or Imron.
Ditto... I just painted my trailer. I didnt sanblast but realized shortly after i started that I should have. Then primedand sanded. Then used a good sealer, then Imron paint. It looks great.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tote-N-One
Ditto... I just painted my trailer. I didnt sanblast but realized shortly after i started that I should have. Then primedand sanded. Then used a good sealer, then Imron paint. It looks great.
You are so talented!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM

On Imron especially but with any of the catalized epoxies and polyesters... You have to be really careful when painting with them. They have a high level of cyanoacrylates in them. This stuff is really bad for your lungs, liver & central nervous system. A percentage of users will contract an irreversible form of asthma from even a single exposure. Cartridge-type respirators will not work with it. You might as well use a dust mask- it'll do the same thing.

They also take quite a long time to dry- unless you use the accelerator. Dupont's accelerator is only available in quarts which is about enough to accelerate 100 gallons of paint. It's VERY expensive. The 9100 accelerator is just "part b" of its one-to-one mix and doesn't cost more. The downside is limited color availablity and you have to purchase it in gallons- so you end up with two sprayable gallons- alot for a trailer.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
You are so talented!
Wait until you see it. What a difference. You can see it in the classifieds.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It takes at least 2 gallons of sprayable paint to do a trailer right.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the warning.

There are different filter cartridges designed for filtering different materials. Is there not an appropriate cartridge recommendation from the paint manufacturer in their MSDS for Imron?

On Imron especially but with any of the catalized epoxies and polyesters... You have to be really careful when painting with them. They have a high level of cyanoacrylates in them. This stuff is really bad for your lungs, liver & central nervous system. A percentage of users will contract an irreversible form of asthma from even a single exposure. Cartridge-type respirators will not work with it. You might as well use a dust mask- it'll do the same thing.

They also take quite a long time to dry- unless you use the accelerator. Dupont's accelerator is only available in quarts which is about enough to accelerate 100 gallons of paint. It's VERY expensive. The 9100 accelerator is just "part b" of its one-to-one mix and doesn't cost more. The downside is limited color availablity and you have to purchase it in gallons- so you end up with two sprayable gallons- alot for a trailer.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 AM

The only specified respirator for Imron is fresh-air supply. No filters work on cyano. This is why you can't even access information on the product on DuPont's website- they don't want anyone other than professional applicators using it. Body shop supply stores sometimes care but most often don't. they also don't sufficiently warn people about the health hazards of this stuff. If you're using it outside in a well-ventilated area, you will have way less issue.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good to know. Thanks.

The only specified respirator for Imron is fresh-air supply. No filters work on cyano. This is why you can't even access information on the product on DuPont's website- they don't want anyone other than professional applicators using it. Body shop supply stores sometimes care but most often don't. they also don't sufficiently warn people about the health hazards of this stuff. If you're using it outside in a well-ventilated area, you will have way less issue.

Quick Reply: Repaint Boat Trailer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.