Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Trailer tag question on interstate purchase >

Trailer tag question on interstate purchase

Notices

Trailer tag question on interstate purchase

Old 07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy from a dealer they can give you a temp to get home.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove from the west coast to the east coast with a new truck and new trailer, neither of which had tags. I had no problems, not even at the weigh stations! Then, on the way back, I bought a different trailer and towed it to the west coast with no tags on it!

About the insurance....I called my insurer, USAA, and they said I am covered for a short time after any vehicle purchase. I forget the length of time, but they offered coverage.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:03 PM
rjr
Registered

I can say from personal experience that the fine in Connecticut for an unregistered trailer is $100.00. After he gave me the ticket the cop said to plead "not guilty" that they probably would not pursue the case.

Apparently, if you go to court the cop has to come and testify and they are not likely to drag him to court for $100.00
Old 07-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

When i bought our first boat in NM, i towed it back w/ the orginal owners tag. He didnt need it anymore anyway.

When i bought seafordguys trailer, i towed it back w/ no tag.

Had all papers both times.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM
rjr
Registered

When I bought a boat in Maryland I came home on the previous owners reg. He promised not to cancel it until I got home. Not sure of the legality since he had signed the title over, but since I had not tried to register it myself I figured I had a leg to stand on. Great trip through Atlantic, and NYC. Everybody ought to do it.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been pulling boat, car, motorcycle and utility trailers up and down the road regularly between Ohio and FL for 35 years without a tag and haven't been stopped yet, but I guess there's always a first time. Cops are usually more interested in stopping you for something that is going to cost you a lot. License and insurance are 2 completely seperate matters. Insurance company doesn't insure the license plate, they insure the vehicle or property, and your liability insurance is supposed to cover any towed unit for the liability, or at least that's the way my insurance is. You still have to buy insurance to cover loss or damage to the trailer or its contents.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Towing without a plate or proper registration is not too smart. In Jersey they will make you leave it then have it towed. It's very costly.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 AM
rjr
Registered

I will second Bowtie on having your trailer towed if you get stopped without reg. The cop that stopped me ask where I was going. When I told him I was going to a nearby repair facility he said that he would cut me a break and not have it towed. Seems like an oxymoron to drop your tow so someone else can tow it.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Registered

I bought a boat from a state that doesn't issue tags for trailers (Kentucky). Towed it home no problem. Figured the bill of sale would be enough if I got stopped. Also, I had checked with my insurance agent since I was buying on the weekend. I think I was covered for 72 hours after purchase even without calling him.