Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Lots of questions about trailer hubs while on the road >

Lots of questions about trailer hubs while on the road

Notices

Lots of questions about trailer hubs while on the road

Old 08-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spilman
I have had 13 blow-outs
You don't know how ridiculous it sounds to a non-trailering boater why anyone would put up with this.

But after a lot of research on trailer tires, especially in the RV community regarding their campers, it seems you're not alone. Goodyear and Carlisle tires in particular seem to have an atrocious record of blow-outs.

The consensus seems to be that trailer tires' load capacity is rated too high. Many of the RV'ers have gone up an inch to a heavier capacity. Don't know if there's room for that on most boat trailers. They also like Titan and Towmaster (which I believe are made by Titan) tires. But the RV'ers and horse trailer crowd seem to have a real love affair with the Michelin XPS Rib, even though it's an LT instead of an ST tire.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Registered

I have the largest tires on my AT trailer that will fit...Ijust bought 5 new ones...that should be good for a couple seasons. Of the 13; most were on my lighter boats with 13" rims at 75+mph...my fault. The AT(Good Year Marathon 225/75R15 trailer can handle the speed, but the smaller ones just can't take it. Tire pressure is crucial also; I always put them @ max psi and check routinely; but it still happens every few 1000 miles....BTW, I trailer Alot.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 852 Likes on 312 Posts

What was the outcome of this whole ordeal...did you buy the boat? Trailer it home?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:52 AM
Registered

had the same issues myself a few times already, brakes locking, bearing going bad etc. fix the trailer before leaving. carry xtra parts etc. your just a fool if you don,t listen to good advice. the checkmate is a good boat. i have a 26 convincer and will run with any comparable size baja, fountain, formula, etc in the chesepeke with no issues. it seems to handle the rough water better the faster you go. just know your limitations!!!!. mark
Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Registered

have the trailer maintained and hire a transport pro

if roadside repair and loading your truck with tools isnt your 'cup of tea' you could always have the trailer serviced, ( even most ford dealers will do this for you if you cant find a good trailer shop) and hire a transport pro for the long haul. more and more people would rather not take a week off work to go get a boat and bring it home, and thats only if nothing happens en-route. write a check and order a pizza from the sofa and wait for the boat to be brought to you , worry free.. just a thought. 847-809-7110 if you are curious on the matter.
thanks
dan
Old 09-15-2008, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious minds need to know....how did you make out with this?