Notices

Programmers and Warranty

Old 09-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmers and Warranty

How many people really worry about programmers/chips/downloaders voiding their warranty?

I have an 08 duramax and am trying to decide whether or not to install the PPE programmer. I just don't want the hassle of the warranty problems, which supposedly chevy is starting to crack down on alot harder now.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

The saying among Dodge owners after you install a programmer is " You are your own warranty". Alot of it depends on the dealership and your relationship with the service writer/service manager unless STAR becomes involved. Then your prettty much on your own. IMO
Jay
Old 09-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Yep.

Sam
Old 09-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered

Use a plug in box, Quadzilla, instead of a programer. It can be removed with no eveidence of it ever being there
Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by IM4A2Z
Use a plug in box, Quadzilla, instead of a programer. It can be removed with no eveidence of it ever being there

ooooooo.....not sure thats true. Only people making the claim of no footprints left on the truck are smarty....and thats for a cummins. I cannot find anything on quadzilla that says they leave no trace. That being said...the quadzillas are very nice boxs.

The BEST thing you can do for a duramax is to find somebody good with EFIlive. You can turn off the DPF, and the idle whistle with that bad boy.

Last edited by tblrklakemo; 09-15-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IM4A2Z
This is why people who have legit problems are having trouble getting warranty coverage. Why do people do this sh!t? If you do install a programer and have a problem and then pull one over the dealers head and get them to cover it it is called theft. The whole programmer thing has gotten out of hand on these diesels and it had cost the manufacturers ALOT of money in the last few years. This sh!t should follow under the same laws as insurance fraud if you ask me, it is the same thing. The whole "it's OK to hoodwink the big boys" thing is a steaming pile of sh!t. If you want to run a programmer and make more power you need to just accept that you have invalidated your warranty and you now need to step up and pay for any damages that occur.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
This is why people who have legit problems are having trouble getting warranty coverage. Why do people do this sh!t? If you do install a programer and have a problem and then pull one over the dealers head and get them to cover it it is called theft. The whole programmer thing has gotten out of hand on these diesels and it had cost the manufacturers ALOT of money in the last few years. This sh!t should follow under the same laws as insurance fraud if you ask me, it is the same thing. The whole "it's OK to hoodwink the big boys" thing is a steaming pile of sh!t. If you want to run a programmer and make more power you need to just accept that you have invalidated your warranty and you now need to step up and pay for any damages that occur.
yep I see it every day with fords
Old 09-16-2008, 04:23 AM
Registered

Somebody tries to rip off stealerships? They should be so ashamed trying to get over on the dealer. The dealer would never screw anyone over!

racerngrl1: It depends on the service department. The dealer that I use would say that if the programmer caused the problem, you're S.O.L., but if it's in there and the problem wasn't directly related then they didn't see it installed.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:03 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think my 06 D-max is powerful enough without a programmer. Not worth the voided warranty.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think alot has to do with the dealer some around here have been known to put them on. I run them all the time once you get a feel for it it sucks to drive them stock.

Quick Reply: Programmers and Warranty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.