Notices

What Do You Think of the Price?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Do You Think of the Price?

I decided to try and sell my truck because I won't be getting as big of boat as I had planned (if any, being a GM employee probably shouldn't right now). I bought it in Oct so it's basically new still (3400 miles).

I put it up this week on Autotrader, so far no calls.

I think I have it priced right, as retail on it is 33K which is my ask, and I have over 7K in extras on it (lift, wheels, backup camera, DVD). Lifted trucks aren't real big in Detroit, but I would expect a few calls? Sticker was 39K.

I've also been trying to trade in on a vette, and have offers literally between 22K and 32K. I'd obviously be all over the 32K except it's a vette I have no interest in (new 08, auto, conv, too loaded, I'm just looking for a manual, coupe, preferably not red)

So, do I just need to give it more time or what?

How about listing on eBay? I got a call from classyauto.com, anyone heard of them? They want 399 to list it and sell it, gauranteed to sell or money back if you price right. the guy I talked to thought I was for sure priced right and would sell on eBay with national exposure.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...reset_crumbs=y
Old 05-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Nice truck. The lift isn't my taste but looks nice anyway. I think you maybe up against new trucks/ possibly diesels as competition for buying yours.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Registered

Default truck sell tips

I had better luck selling my Lightning after removing the mods and going back to stock. Seems to hit a wider audience and you can cast a wider net for selling your mod parts separately. Randy
Old 05-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I know my market is much more limited now, but returning it to stock destroys a ton of value, as labor isn't cheap, and selling a used lift won't be great "return".

Also, I no longer have the stock parts/wheels.

The rebates on a new one are 3500, so you could get new for just a few grand more, but that would be without the lift/wheels/leather/dvd/backup-camera/heated seat. I think it just comes down to finding the right market, which seems like it might be Texas.

I'm pretty close to a trade in deal with dealership in Texas. Does anyone know of a driver service that can drive cars for people for a trade deal?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

You might have a hard time selling your truck for 2 reasons.

1 With that low mileage people will be wondering what's wrong with it.

2 In order for someone to buy it used, they would have to get a used car loan which has higher interest rates. A new truck looks like a better deal from that standpoint.

Unless you want to give it away I would just drive it for a few years and then sell it.

It is a very nicley done truck though !!!

P.S. I used to live in Pleasant Ridge right by you. I really liked it there but it was along time ago. Is Matthews/ Hargaves Chevy still in business ??

Last edited by Smitty; 05-09-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
You might have a hard time selling your truck for 2 reasons.

1 With that low mileage people will be wondering what's wrong with it.

2 In order for someone to buy it used, they would have to get a used car loan which has higher interest rates. A new truck looks like a better deal from that standpoint.

Unless you want to give it away I would just drive it for a few years and then sell it.

It is a very nicley done truck though !!!

P.S. I used to live in Pleasant Ridge right by you. I really liked it there but it was along time ago. Is Matthews/ Hargaves Chevy still in business ??
Thanks.

Actually, most CU's treat 08's the same as new, so the rates are still good. I know cuz I'm looking at 07-08 vettes and the rates are good, much better than 05-06's.

As to the milage, I think anyone that learns I work at GM will realize that buying a nice boat to pull with this, which was the only reason I got it, would be a terrible plan.

Hargraves is actually where I bought this truck, as I live on 11 Mile so they are very close. After the trade-in offer from them though, they won't be my dealership going forward.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 AM
VIP Member

I didn't know you worked for GM. Maybe you should put that in your ad???

Cool that Hargraves is still there. That was a long time ago for me. Late 70's !!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
I know my market is much more limited now, but returning it to stock destroys a ton of value, as labor isn't cheap, and selling a used lift won't be great "return".
This situation has come up before. Guys with tricked out vehicles trying to get their money out of them when they sell it. I understand what you trying to do, I just don't see much hope (unless that deal in Texas works out for you).

Trucks like yours are kind of like street/strip cars, race cars, etc. It's almost impossible to get your money back on the parts you add to it and you'll never get anything for your labor. That's why most race cars and the like, get parted out and/or sold as rollers, engine and drive-train separate. When vehicles get personalized, it's tough to find someone with the exact same taste as you. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
I didn't know you worked for GM. Maybe you should put that in your ad???

Cool that Hargraves is still there. That was a long time ago for me. Late 70's !!!!
Yep, they're still there, and were doing Ok I think, these days of course who knows. They just re-did the building, it's pretty nice.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HayJay
This situation has come up before. Guys with tricked out vehicles trying to get their money out of them when they sell it. I understand what you trying to do, I just don't see much hope (unless that deal in Texas works out for you).

Trucks like yours are kind of like street/strip cars, race cars, etc. It's almost impossible to get your money back on the parts you add to it and you'll never get anything for your labor. That's why most race cars and the like, get parted out and/or sold as rollers, engine and drive-train separate. When vehicles get personalized, it's tough to find someone with the exact same taste as you. Good luck.
I'm not lookin to get back my investment even, more like just not get a lower trade in because it. I know it takes the right person, but the damn thing sure does seem popular. Just yesterday someone was taking cell phone pics of it in the parking lot, and not the first time for stuff like that. Guess that doesn't translate to guys with the money showing up necessarily.

The dealer in Texas accepted my offer (my truck +4500 for 08 vette with new wheels/borla), so I'm gonna do that. (Unless anyone wants the truck for around 31).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.