Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
HELP! Diagnose bad wear on trailer tires >

HELP! Diagnose bad wear on trailer tires

Notices

HELP! Diagnose bad wear on trailer tires

Old 06-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by baywatch
I park on 2 x12's when the boat is sitting on soft ground. Won't fix current problem but could help with future problems.
Good idea, my storage just has gravel. When it rains hard I get about 6 inches of water inside. I never thought soft ground could do damage to a trailer.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
If you have inner and outer wear you have a simple aligment problem - not saying easy to fix but alignment none the less...

Your outer wear side is generally further ahead of your inner wear side.

You need to measure (doesn't matter loaded or not) from the center of the trailer hitch to a common point on the outsides of both sides of the axle. Usally someting like a welded mount where a bolt goes through or a seam where the spindles are welded in. With the tires on it is very difficult to measure from hitch to axle centers. Depending on whether you have torsion or springs with equalizers thre are different fixes.

Take your measurements and if you want you can call my cell to discuss your findings 732-718-2711.
My thoughts too.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Good idea, my storage just has gravel. When it rains hard I get about 6 inches of water inside. I never thought soft ground could do damage to a trailer.
I have a guy here in Ada that will work on your trailer.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
If you have inner and outer wear you have a simple aligment problem - not saying easy to fix but alignment none the less...

Your outer wear side is generally further ahead of your inner wear side.

You need to measure (doesn't matter loaded or not) from the center of the trailer hitch to a common point on the outsides of both sides of the axle. Usally someting like a welded mount where a bolt goes through or a seam where the spindles are welded in. With the tires on it is very difficult to measure from hitch to axle centers. Depending on whether you have torsion or springs with equalizers thre are different fixes.

Take your measurements and if you want you can call my cell to discuss your findings 732-718-2711.
What he said. Hit a curb or something hard. That can throw the alignment off.

Guys that blow a lot of trailer tires have a hard time beleiveing that it could be an alignment issue on the trailer so they pull it at slow speeds or buy tons of tires, instead of checking this one simple thing.

Check your rims in case one of them is bent also, but it really sounds like alignment.

Trailer guy will sell you an axle because he knows you don't know any better. The new one will be aligned properly by default if it is installed properly.

Good luck
Old 06-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
I have a guy here in Ada that will work on your trailer.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

I aligned my axles on my last trailer with a laser level. It wasn't the best way to do it, but it worked. The trailer made it from Virginia to Montana shortly thereafter with no problems so I am pretty sure I got it right.

Your middle axle might be aligned well with the proper forward motion of the trailer, but your front and rear axles could both be jacked in the same direction (mis-aligned) causing a dog-trot; and your center axle's tires are taking the damage since it's being dragged "sydwayz".
Old 06-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

You figure it out yet?