Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2008 3500 HD silverado dually front tire wear >

2008 3500 HD silverado dually front tire wear

Notices

2008 3500 HD silverado dually front tire wear

Old 07-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 3500 HD silverado dually front tire wear

Is anybody else having issues with the front tire outer edge wear on the stock tires and suspension ? I have 25 K miles on it and the fronts are toast on the outer edges only, dealer looked at it and tells me it is normal, is there a repair bulletin that somebody knows of to correct this ? Also getting a weird noise on the driver side suspension when i make a turn. Any info would be appreciated so i can hand it back to them.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by laszlo01
Is anybody else having issues with the front tire outer edge wear on the stock tires and suspension ? I have 25 K miles on it and the fronts are toast on the outer edges only, dealer looked at it and tells me it is normal, is there a repair bulletin that somebody knows of to correct this ? Also getting a weird noise on the driver side suspension when i make a turn. Any info would be appreciated so i can hand it back to them.
if you haven't rotated them then it could be normal wear. Duallies can be a headache to rotate.

If it is a clunk in the front suspension could be a body mount that is loose. It seems all GM's make a single click in reverse with the wheel cut hard in either direction.......
Old 07-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Registered

Do you tow alot or have a load in the back? When a load is added the rear of the truck sinks and the front raises, throwing off the alignment. The tires should of ben rotated at 10-15k miles.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The noise you are hearing is the intermediate steering shaft. Has been a problem with GM for years, they used to take off and greese but quit doing that. Best thing you can do is replace it out of your pocket. Price is around $70.00 if you do it yourself.

I have found the cupping can be solved by finding a good alignment shop that can handle your size truck. Most places cannot do a decent job on your truck.Look for someone that works on the heavier trucks.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

call and ask for dennis at stans alingment in belleville on stumper rd...tel him larry from park ngo sent you,,,they have the old time pits and can get under your truck easy,,,they will do an inspection for you ,call and set up a time ,,,inspection takes about 15-20 min cost 20-30 bucks

Last edited by TWIN-SPINS; 07-16-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Registered

that cuping is normal..and after 25K if you haven't rotated then they will be toast... Formula Bill got the clunking right, there are companies that make after mark ones that are better, bigger... But you will still wear those tires like that if you don't rotate every few thousand miles...every 10 is probably good. maybe sooner.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Registered

It gets even better, so i figure i will take it to the dealer one more time and show them that the drivers side tire is bald to the cords and the passenger side is like new, so they go to point out it must be the aftermarket Boss snow plow bracket causing the popping and tire wear issue. I could have just punched him in the face ! So i make the service write up guy lay down in front of the truck and turn the wheel to hear the popping sound and ask him to show me where the snow plow bracket has anything to do with it. What do i get ? gee something must be wrong in the suspension. God these guys are brilliant. But seriously only the drivers side tire is bald on the outside and it sounds more like a popping sound when you steer it hard turn in reverse is the worst, also seems to have a drivers side favored lag in rebound after hitting a dip in the road.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Get the alignment. If you rotate every other oil change (3K lof intervals) tires last forever.

Regular rotation helps extend the life of your tires, saving time and money in the long run. For rotation, each tire and wheel is removed from your vehicle and moved to a different position. This ensures that all of the tires wear evenly and last longer. If no period is specified in your vehicle owners manual, tires should be rotated every 6,000 to 8,000 miles. If you have a full-size spare, it should be included in the rotation process

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/
Old 07-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Registered

Thanks for the heads up, heading over there this week.

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
call and ask for dennis at stans alingment in belleville on stumper rd...tel him larry from park ngo sent you,,,they have the old time pits and can get under your truck easy,,,they will do an inspection for you ,call and set up a time ,,,inspection takes about 15-20 min cost 20-30 bucks
Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

laszlo- You need to rotate every 10,000 miles. The alignment will help but 25k is a lot of miles with no rotation.

Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.