Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Trailer Story: Tires, Corrosion, and Dealer Responsibility (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/216329-trailer-story-tires-corrosion-dealer-responsibility.html)

70runner 09-06-2009 02:52 AM

Trailer Story: Tires, Corrosion, and Dealer Responsibility

I posted a few weeks back about the cracking sidewalls on my trailer tires (Carlisle). The story continues....I pressed it with the boat dealer who referred me to the trailer manufacturer who is just a few miles down the freeway. So I show up and talk directly to the owner, Roger. We look over the trailer and, besides the tires, note significant corrosion on the hubs, leaf springs, and wheel lugs.

He said it looked to him like the trailer was not properly cared for (you think!). Now I learned a valuable lesson in this adventure: I didn't pay enough attention to the trailer, being totally consumed with the boat (my first one). Roger suggested we call Carlisle about the 3 tires with sidewall cracking. After some dialog, Carlisle agreed to warranty replace the 3 tires (all on the same side). Roger said they would need to trailer for a few days to replace the tires and check over the trailer. He also said they've had good luck with the Carlisles and still put them on all their trailers. I asked him how much?...he said probably 4-5hrs, $400 or so labor, parts would be extra.

Couple days later they call and I go pick up the trailer/boat. Roger makes it a point to talk to me candidly about who's responsible for the trailer bill, so I brace myself for the bad news. He said he'd had a discussion with the boat dealership owner about my trailer and the boat dealer felt it was a trailer dealer "matter". Roger said he didn't agree and planned to send the bill to the boat dealership. Wow.

So I get the trailer home and notice they had also apparently sand-blasted the corrosion, then painted the areas. The springs were nearly completely covered in surface rust, so this wasn't a trivial job. They said the brakes looked OK, but I figured I better check them myself. The rotors were also corroded, they looked bad to me and I've done a few disk brake jobs in my time. Don't know why the trailer guys didn't do the rotors. Couple auto places refused to do them, worried about their "bits". Took them to a machine shop and the guy knew right away they were boat trailer rotors. Turns out he is a avid boater. He did them and I put in new pads as well.

Now I'm building some boat guide-ons...but thats another story.

Morale of this (long) story: keep a close eye on your trailer, don't rely on others, including dealers

http://www.geocities.com/runnernest/Boat/street4.jpg

phragle 09-06-2009 10:48 AM

whats the original DOM of the trailer? odds are in todays market, it has been sitting a while.

2112 09-06-2009 12:33 PM

Sounds like you got taken care of nicely :drink:

70runner 09-06-2009 11:49 PM

DOM was Nov06 (07 model). Yes, definitely sitting awhile. Perhaps used to demo other boats.?.

I'm satisfied with the trailer dealer, except they should have handled the rotors. The machine shop boat guy said they were WAY overdue for surfacing. Less satisfied with the boat dealer, but partially my fault for not closely inspecting the trailer.

Catmando 09-07-2009 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 70runner (Post 2947512)
DOM was Nov06 (07 model). Yes, definitely sitting awhile. Perhaps used to demo other boats.?.

I'm satisfied with the trailer dealer, except they should have handled the rotors. The machine shop boat guy said they were WAY overdue for surfacing. Less satisfied with the boat dealer, but partially my fault for not closely inspecting the trailer.

Sounds like you handled the dealer and trailer mfgr w/o much shouting and raising hell. :) A lesson learned cheaply, lots of guys forget about their trailers until something breaks and they wind up on the side of the road. Does your trailer have Bearing Buddys? If not, they would be a great addition.

phragle 09-07-2009 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 70runner (Post 2947218)
Morale of this (long) story: keep a close eye on your trailer, don't rely on others, including dealers

It also helps to realize that the saleman does not work for you. He works for the dealer. It is his job to maximize profits for his boss. The commision off the sale my be oart of his paycheck, but you do not sign that check, his boss does. It is your job to negotiate the deal in your best interest, it's his job to negtiate te deal in his employeers best interest. Relying on the saleman to negotiate your best interest is suicidal.

never enuff 09-07-2009 09:27 AM

IMO a trailer for your boat should almost be like a second transaction. The salesman should explain the numerous options on a trailer to you, ie; braking system, lighting, size of rims and tires, types of axles etc etc etc. Based on how you are going to use your trailer you can choose the trailer/options best suited to your needs. I agree it is easy to get caught up in the boat purchase and forget about the importance of the trailer especially for first time buyers. Most lessons about trailers are learned at the side of the road:eek: My lesson was NEVER buy a Magnum trailer or expect any type of service after the sale!
Jay

raytart 09-07-2009 06:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
You want to talk corrosion, take a look at my 5 year old Nordic Roadrunner trailer. I have since replaced it.

70runner 09-08-2009 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 2947598)
Sounds like you handled the dealer and trailer mfgr w/o much shouting and raising hell. :) A lesson learned cheaply, lots of guys forget about their trailers until something breaks and they wind up on the side of the road. Does your trailer have Bearing Buddys? If not, they would be a great addition.

All dialog with both the trailer and boat dealer owners has been calm and deliberate. These guys are impt resources. Yes, it has the bearing buddies. I cleaned them out and regreased when I did the rotors. The surge is working much better with the clean rotors, but I'll eventually convert to electric/hydraulic with controller. Would be nice to have some braking help from the trailer when backing down the boat ramp with about 18,000lbs.

Originally Posted by never enuff (Post 2947609)
IMO a trailer for your boat should almost be like a second transaction. The salesman should explain the numerous options on a trailer to you, ie; braking system, lighting, size of rims and tires, types of axles etc etc etc. Based on how you are going to use your trailer you can choose the trailer/options best suited to your needs. I agree it is easy to get caught up in the boat purchase and forget about the importance of the trailer especially for first time buyers. Most lessons about trailers are learned at the side of the road:eek: My lesson was NEVER buy a Magnum trailer or expect any type of service after the sale!
Jay

Jay, I couldn't agree more! I did a cursory exam of the trailer, mostly specs, but, as you say, should have treated it as a purchase onto itself. Its a decent trailer, just sat too long without adequate care. Has a nice bunk system with good stern support.

Catmando 09-08-2009 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by raytart (Post 2947829)
You want to talk corrosion, take a look at my 5 year old Nordic Roadrunner trailer. I have since replaced it.

I can see why man that's gross. Dangerous too...