Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   ??? for FORD diesel service tech (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/222677-ford-diesel-service-tech.html)

t500hps 01-12-2010 07:16 PM

??? for FORD diesel service tech

I've had a 2007 F350 dually 6.0 diesel for a couple years but have only put 10,000 miles on it.....the alternator has quit but I'm at 38 months of a 36 month warranty on that item :angry-smiley-038:. Is there a fuse/circuit breaker anywhere that could have tripped? I can't find any info in the owners manual about it and wanted to know before I buy a $400 alternator.
Also, It appears I do not have an engine block heater.....is that something that can be added? Seems it would have the "base" components already installed or maybe not. If nothing is already in there I imagine it would be a B I T C H to add now.

Thanks for any help you can offer

vette131 01-12-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3022669)

I've had a 2007 F350 dually 6.0 diesel for a couple years but have only put 10,000 miles on it.....the alternator has quit but I'm at 38 months of a 36 month warranty on that item :angry-smiley-038:. Is there a fuse/circuit breaker anywhere that could have tripped? I can't find any info in the owners manual about it and wanted to know before I buy a $400 alternator.
Also, It appears I do not have an engine block heater.....is that something that can be added? Seems it would have the "base" components already installed or maybe not. If nothing is already in there I imagine it would be a B I T C H to add now.

check for battery voltage at the big terminal on the back of the alternator, if it has voltage the alternator is probably bad. it should have a block heater but the power cord was an option. buy the power cord & plug it in to the heater. if I remember right its on the passenger side close to the starter.

mcraymond3 01-12-2010 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3022669)

call me tomorrow on my cell after 1. I will put one of my diesel techs on the phone with you. I will not be in the office until after lunch. 910-787-4101

t500hps 01-12-2010 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by mcraymond3 (Post 3022753)
call me tomorrow on my cell after 1. I will put one of my diesel techs on the phone with you. I will not be in the office until after lunch. 910-787-4101

Thanks Matt. I'll give you a ring.....I do have the block heater, but not the cord for it to be used. The alternator still needs to be addressed, 2 local dealers I called didn't seem interested in helping me out regarding those 2 months I'm past.

ninetym 01-13-2010 09:26 AM

Call ford customer service direct, I have done that in the past with items just past warranty and they helped me out.

Quicksilver 01-15-2010 08:01 PM

I agree call Ford customer service, they've actually been very good with items just out of warranty time frame, now if it had been like 6-12 months thats a different story. Friends truck somehow blew its transmission literally about 30 days past warrenty, never had any issues before just a weird fluke... they covered it. He's got about 150K miles on that truck now and trans is still fine.