Notices

Towing with a Hummer H2

Old 02-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro1
My ass hurts from towing with that Hummer. Worst tow vehicle I have ever used. Cant pull 2 snowmobiles without a lot of strain.
You have to get an 08 and up. They've got the new motor, almost 400 hp and the towing capacity is 8,500. It is 10x the H2 that the 03-07's are. I used to hate driving my wifes 05 H2. Since she's gotten the new 09 I take it everywhere.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 2003 H2 i tow with all the time my boat is a 1998 272 Baja and it tows it with no problems you might notice it a little in the hills but you wont have no problems the H2 is basically a little shorter a little wider 3/4 ton suburban and it has a little bigger engine that most of the yukons and suburbans
Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You probably already know this, but no matter how well you "think" it toes, how great it "feels" when trailering or how short a distance you need to move it ---all it takes is 1 accident for the insurance company to deny your coverage. Then you have people coming after your business, home, net worth...... its your call. Old lady cuts you off. Kid with a new license changes lanes in front of you without looking. The list goes on. All it takes is 1 accident.

Your trailer alone sounds like it is going to put your over the legal limit. Then factor in gear, ice, beer...

Last edited by damdonzi; 02-05-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Registered

I also have an 03 H2 and I am in the towing business, for what it is I think it tows quite well I have towed a 39 Outerlimits on a Myco trailer, and tow my 35 Cigarette on a regular basis, I wouldn't travel across the country with it, or do 80 MPH but it will pull it.

For a 27 Sea Ray SLX I would not think twice about towing it.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not the number 1 pick if you were going out to buy a tow vehicle, but since you already have it you will be fine. It is more important the boat is set up on trailer properly... tongue weight and working brakes. Use common sense driving.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CrazyDT
I have a 2003 Hummer H2. I just bought a Sea Ray SLX 270. The boats dry weight is 5555 lbs. without the trailer, tower and 496 engine. I know that hummers tow cap. is 6700 lbs. Just wondering if anyone has towed with a boat about same weight and what is was like. Please no hummer bad mouthing. I know not everyone likes them, but until you own one, don't bad mouth one.
Don't do it. Buy a truck that is rated MORE than your boat, trailer and stuff you haul for a day at the lake. It's a matter of safety.

You need to think about insurance too. Your policyholder will deny your claim if you are overloaded and have an accident.

I would buy a 3/4 ton diesel but the Ford 1/2 ton is rated about 9000lbs I think.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ebay Ed
i have a 2003 H2 i tow with all the time my boat is a 1998 272 Baja and it tows it with no problems you might notice it a little in the hills but you wont have no problems the H2 is basically a little shorter a little wider 3/4 ton suburban and it has a little bigger engine that most of the yukons and suburbans
Everything I can see I don't know why the rating is so low. The 1/2 suburban with a 5.3 liter and the 4l60-e transmission has a tow rating of 8500 lbs. Why would the Hummer with the 6.0 and the 4l65e only 6700 lbs.? The Hummer frame is the suburban frame cut off, the 4l65e is a straighter and heavier duty transmission, and all the drive train is from the 3/4 suburban. Makes no since.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by CrazyDT
Everything I can see I don't know why the rating is so low. The 1/2 suburban with a 5.3 liter and the 4l60-e transmission has a tow rating of 8500 lbs. Why would the Hummer with the 6.0 and the 4l65e only 6700 lbs.? The Hummer frame is the suburban frame cut off, the 4l65e is a straighter and heavier duty transmission, and all the drive train is from the 3/4 suburban. Makes no since.
Im not sure why they did the rating so low initially either. The later ones had the rating jump to almost 9k lbs. Most of the running & braking gear is 3/4 or 1 ton stuff. The frame is also built very well. The hitch is actually built stronger than the ones on the silverado HD trucks..

It is seriously bad azz. Crawl under one for a peek next time you get a chance & take a look. The steel for it is a much heavier gauge & it is integrated to the frame like you wouldn't believe.

I have had & several H2's & used them for towing as well. I have been very happy with them. I agree it is not as peppy under a heavy load as my duramax truck was, but it actually pulled just as well from a handling perspective. It is a much more capable vehicle than people think.. Now from a liability perspective I wouldn't really like to tempt the law in the case of a bad day. So legally It would probably be a wise idea to stay within the suggested confines of the printed recommendations. I just am saying it is a much stouter ride than most think.

Jamie
Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought the Hummer was off a Tahoe platform but everything is on steroids. The only weakness that you might have to address is the tires. At least E rated tires is what you would want. Sidewalls might be a bit soft from factory. I think that is part of why they rate it so low for towing. They look good and help it ride nice but they dont have a stiff sidewall. Tires are cheaper than a new truck.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

The Hummer's frame is not off of the Tahoe, or anything else. It is more of a hybrid Heavy duty frame that they did just for the H2. The Tahoe thing may have come from the body's sheet metal flooring platform for the cabin, but even that is still a bit different inside. J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.