Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Towing 46 BT...Need insight and "Lessons Learned" >

Towing 46 BT...Need insight and "Lessons Learned"

Notices

Towing 46 BT...Need insight and "Lessons Learned"

Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CSCinc
OMG dont scare this guy to death..... I have a 46ec. I have towed it with my 3500 duramax duallie. You have to pay attention to braking and make sure your trailer brakes are working and adjusted properly. I towed it from chgo to miami with a kodiac 4500. Not much difference. We tow it now with a pete 379 with a 450 cat. Doesn't even know its back there.
No kidding..... A stock F-350/3500 dually will be sufficient. Of course, the upgrades catmando suggested would be fun, they are not necessary. Make sure the trailer has good brakes though. We have electric/hyrdaulic discs on axels. Our 2500HD srw tows our 43gt fine..... not ideal, but it works. Good brakes on the trailer helps keep things straight if things get unfriendly.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're crazy towing a boat that heavy with a 3/4 ton truck.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Our 43 doesnt weigh near as much as the 46, and its not as high sided to be pushed around by the wind. With electric/hydraulic disc brakes on the trailer, its got enough stopping power. Just keep it under 65mph and you're fine.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSCinc
OMG dont scare this guy to death..... I have a 46ec. I have towed it with my 3500 duramax duallie. You have to pay attention to braking and make sure your trailer brakes are working and adjusted properly. I towed it from chgo to miami with a kodiac 4500. Not much difference. We tow it now with a pete 379 with a 450 cat. Doesn't even know its back there.
What made you decide to switch and what kind of mileage do you get with the Pete?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those long trips its just easier with the semi. It holds over 200 gallons of fuel and gets around 9-10 mpg depending on how fast you run. We didnt buy the truck just to tow the boat but its alittle nicer then using the dually.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Catmando would have you buying at minimum an F250 to tow a jet ski

pfffft lol
Old 06-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Catmando would have you buying at minimum an F250 to tow a jet ski

pfffft lol
Wasup DEDman lol. Hey I want the guy to have enough truck to get the job done SAFELY. Not only for HIS sake and the safety of those who ride with him but also those who'll be driving alongside or in front of him.

I know from first-hand experience how it feels to tow a load the truck is not rated to handle. In my case, 1400 miles towing a 5000lb boat and trailer with a Ford Ranger is not a trip I ever want to take again.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 269 Likes on 93 Posts

First off, what a awesome boat you have! I love Black Thunders and will own one some day. Second, there are a lot of good advice on here. The best advice would be to drive defensive. When you are towing take it serious like a full time job. Your truck will tow your boat fine. Dont worry about a CDL or anything. Recreational has different laws then commercial.
I own a car hauling company and tow all winter coast to coast. (then enjoy the short michigan summers!) I use a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD single rear wheel Cummins 6 speed 3.73 gears. I pull a 53ft 3/4 car hauler gooseneck. Weighs 20,000lbs+. 355,000 miles with ZERO problems. (yes its a 3/4 ton single wheel) PM me and I will give you my phone number. I dont want everyone to know all my secrets! The truck is basically stock. K&N air filter, 4" exhaust, Manually turned up boost, firestone air bags, 33" Nitto Highway Grappler tires (3750lbs/tire, every other brand only 3195lbs/tire)
Keep the truck and trailer in great condition, especially the trucks and trailers brakes. You get what you pay for so dont buy cheap parts. Also, only hand pack your trailer bearings, at least once a year. The grease fitting on the end only blows the seals out. Check everything every fuel stop. Kick tires, check straps, look at lug nuts, feel for hot bearings. Catch the problem before it breaks. 100,000+ miles a winter and I have never been stuck on the side of the road. Good luck and bring that boat up to Traverse City July 17th for the poker run. www.tcbayblast.com

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 06-09-2010 at 11:08 PM.