Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
terrible fuel mileage , out of 02 7.3 powerstroke >

terrible fuel mileage , out of 02 7.3 powerstroke

Notices

terrible fuel mileage , out of 02 7.3 powerstroke

Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dookie
I guess ill start with an additive. Thought about taking it to Ford to get a scan. But Ill try this first. Like mentioned , the only thing done is a edge programmer ,and Magnaflow downpipe and exhaust.
You should've gotten MORE mileage with the Edge unless you're running it full bore. Keep us posted I'm interested to hear what the problem was.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the speedo recalibrate for the larger tires? Are you figuring mpg by hand or with the computer? Level 2 isn't very much power either... I have always been told to run the larger programs and just take it easy on the go pedal for mpg. I would think even with 35 your truck should see around 12-14mpg
Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

My mechanic says he runs his chip at full tilt and he gets the best mileage.

I run my 7.3L PSD with Bully Dog at stage 1 (above stock, 50+ HP) and leave it there; and run with the mindset that I have a massive 7000 lb. oil burning miniature aircraft carrier and don't expect great fuel mileage,
Attached Thumbnails terrible fuel mileage , out of 02 7.3 powerstroke-p9070391_edited.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-13-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
My mechanic says he runs his chip at full tilt and he gets the best mileage.

I run my 7.3L PSD with Bully Dog at stage 1 (above stock, 50+ HP) and leave it there; and run with the mindset that I have a massive 7000 lb. oil burning miniature aircraft carrier and don't expect great fuel mileage,
Maybe your right. Like mentioned , the truck maybe and i mean maybe gets 3 to 5k a year put on it. I just made it a point to check it over the last couple of weeks , because i was moving the boat here and there . BUt for the most part it was across town. But twice ive checked when it was pretty much unloaded . And 10 is the best i am seeing.
I tried the economy tow setting and didnt really much performance gain. Thought i would be safe and stay at the no.2 setting, and stay away from the "race" , thought that would be a transmission tearer upper ......
Old 04-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 35 inch tires and 20 inch wheels do not help. Some tires are very aggressive and cause a lot of friction with tread patterns. Try putting it back to a stock tune and check your mileage. Are you getting excewssive smoke when you stand on it?

Wannabe
Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wannabe
The 35 inch tires and 20 inch wheels do not help. Some tires are very aggressive and cause a lot of friction with tread patterns. Try putting it back to a stock tune and check your mileage. Are you getting excewssive smoke when you stand on it?

Wannabe
No I not getting excessive smoke , but I think that is because I am running transformer oil as fuel....
Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Banned

Whatthehell is "transformer oil"??
Old 04-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Registered

Knew it was coming........
I have a friend that worked for a power company , and they learned this little secret. WHen transformers are removed from service to rebuild , the rebuild company drains the oil , and puts new in. It is mineral oil and for the most part is very clean.
It burns great , and can be pretty much run almost straight.
Employees were allowed to drain it from them for a while, but Problem is, rebuild shop they were using , started demanding that the oil not be drained from them anymore.... Not quite sure , but they were claiming epa giving them problems...
Anyway the honey hole ran dry and my supply is almost gone...
Old 04-16-2010, 03:52 AM
Banned

I want to run WVO but it'll cost me several thousand dollars for the tank system and I'm not ready for it just yet.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dookie
No I not getting excessive smoke , but I think that is because I am running transformer oil as fuel....

Ohhhhh....

Explains it all. Less btu content....

Unless your system is set up for tranformer oil (mineral oil) you really should not run it. There are additives in the oil to stabilize it for the heat. Years ago they put in PCB's.

Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.