Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   F-150 Towing Capacity (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/229225-f-150-towing-capacity.html)

sheryl4242 04-26-2010 11:02 PM

F-150 Towing Capacity

Just bought a 35 Fountain Executioner, sits on an aluminum myco trailer, dry weight of the boat is 7600 lbs. I figure total trailer weight fully loaded is just under 10k lbs. Ford is telling me their new F150's with higher gear ratio (3.73) and 5.7 L engine can handle 11000 lbs. trailer capacity. I want to buy a truck to pull this boat to Florida from NJ in the winter, and back in the summer. Any thoughts on the F-150 for this? I really don't want an F250 or bigger, because other than the boat, I have no use for it. Any thoughts?

HavasuCruzer1112 04-26-2010 11:14 PM

you can do it just remember that your gas bill for that truck is going to be higher than the bill for the boat. i would suggest a F250 with the diesel just because you will keep a constant MPG but its what you can afford

Sydwayz 04-26-2010 11:23 PM

No way. You need a 3/4 ton truck for a twin engine big block boat.

The trailer is probably 2000lbs.
Fuel is 6lbs. per gallon.
Water is 8lbs. per gallon.

Then you have lines, fenders, anchors, tools, spare parts, coolers, batteries, stereo equipment, etc. etc.

Top if off with the fact that the only way you can tow the max trailer capacity is with NOTHING in the truck, no passengers, no cargo, NADA.

I feel like I put the same post up every week.

rumrunner29 04-26-2010 11:52 PM

It will probably pull it, but it wont stop it worth a #!$*. When I bought my first boat (1987 scarab 30) I had a 1997 F-150 and I pulled it for about 2 months, but I live 2 minutes from the ramp. Its a white knuckle ride. Got smart shortly after and bought a super duty. No problems. I now have a Baja 29 Ol and pull it with a F-250 superduty (powerstroke). My good friend has a fountain 35L and pulls his with a F-250 as well, pulls it from KY to FL every year with no problem. I for sure would not even think about pulling the boat that distance with that little truck, I'm sure its over max trailer weight and probably tongue weight as well.

Catmando 04-27-2010 01:32 AM

3/4 ton at the MINIMUM. I would get the dually for stability in crosswinds but that's just me. And make dam sure you get the exhaust brake you'll be glad you did...

Catmando 04-27-2010 01:56 AM

I really don't want an F250 or bigger, because other than the boat, I have no use for it. Any thoughts?

Yes. You should not have bought that boat. Here's something else to consider when looking at a tow vehicle; if you get into an accident and you are overloaded, forget filing a claim with your insurer.

It also means that if your accident involves another vehicle, the fact that your insurer will disallow your claim means that their lawyer will take you for every cent you have. You may even go to jail if your accident involves serious injury(or even death) to the other party.

Here's what you SHOULD do;

1) Load the boat full of fuel, water and all the things you will have on the water.

2) Have the rig weighed on a commercial scale.

3) Research what truck will handle at least 1000lb more than the rig weighs on the receiver hitch.

4) Buy it.

[I'll save you some trouble by saying a 1 ton dually will meet all the criteria for a safe towing vehicle for your rig. For example, my 2006 Dodge dually is rated at 12,500lbs on the Class IV hitch. I'm sure the Ford has a similar rating].

Catmando 04-27-2010 02:07 AM

BTW 4242 there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum. You'll find all the pertinent information you need in it.

Jassman 04-27-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by sheryl4242 (Post 3096606)
Just bought a 35 Fountain Executioner, sits on an aluminum myco trailer, dry weight of the boat is 7600 lbs. I figure total trailer weight fully loaded is just under 10k lbs. Ford is telling me their new F150's with higher gear ratio (3.73) and 5.7 L engine can handle 11000 lbs. trailer capacity. I want to buy a truck to pull this boat to Florida from NJ in the winter, and back in the summer. Any thoughts on the F-150 for this? I really don't want an F250 or bigger, because other than the boat, I have no use for it. Any thoughts?

This is going to be an argument.. what it comes down to is safety. I just traded my dooley in for a F150 fx4.. 5.4 litre, 3.73 gears and rated to tow 11800.00 It comes std issue with trailer sway control..read up on that at the ford site.. Now my trailers are 9-10k loaded and Ive always pulled them with my F250's and 350's..never a problem..pulled last week with this 150..guess what..it pulls it..stops it and does everything its suppose to do..but not as good as the 250 diesel...Now this is a 2010 model with all the proper stuff for towing..would I do this on a regular basis..yes in town and I always take my time.. For cross country or like when I pulled my NT..NO...Its always better to pull your boat vs your boat pushing you..If its close after youve broken it down to a T of exactly how much that boat weighs with fuel/water and add trailer..you make the call..but do whats right..safety always comes first for not only you..but others on the road..good luck. Jeff

Indy 04-27-2010 06:53 AM

I wouldn't get near that boat with that truck, not even close. Do yourself, your passengers, and the other drivers on the road a favor...don't do it. Drive with confidence not apprehension.

DONZIEBRI 04-27-2010 07:46 AM

I just purchased a new F-150 4x4 w/5.4 and towing package.I pull my Donzi (8000#) 8 miles to the ramp,city driving,no more than 45 mph and its feels comfortable and safe.65-70 mph interstate driving NO WAY.I looked at all brands and comp trucks all have close to 11000# tow rating.The salesman will tell you it will pull 10-11k all day long at freeway speeds but he wont be the one with the white knuckles.IMO get a 3/4 ton min.