Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Can my 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 liter hemi tow a 33 or 36 outlaw? >

Can my 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 liter hemi tow a 33 or 36 outlaw?

Notices

Can my 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 liter hemi tow a 33 or 36 outlaw?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my 08 dodge 3500. I put a beefy titan hitch on it and it pulls like a champ. Another plus to the dodges is the exhaust brake. 14,000 lbs behind me and the brake will hold it at 35mph on a downhill with no input from the brake pedal at all. baywatch

Don't drive the 2010 Laramie dually you will drool all over the steering wheel. The only option the one I drove didn't have was the rear media. Talking about the exhaust brake, I put it on at 50 and it brought the truck down to 20 without touching the truck brakes. Almost as good a ride quality as the 1500. 4x4 auto 4.10 rear axle [email protected] best 1 ton truck I've ever driven.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
I love my 08 dodge 3500. I put a beefy titan hitch on it and it pulls like a champ. Another plus to the dodges is the exhaust brake. 14,000 lbs behind me and the brake will hold it at 35mph on a downhill with no input from the brake pedal at all. baywatch

Don't drive the 2010 Laramie dually you will drool all over the steering wheel. The only option the one I drove didn't have was the rear media. Talking about the exhaust brake, I put it on at 50 and it brought the truck down to 20 without touching the truck brakes. Almost as good a ride quality as the 1500. 4x4 auto 4.10 rear axle [email protected] best 1 ton truck I've ever driven.
Yeah, I saw one the other day at the dealer and it makes my laramie look like a hoopty. They definately have a winner there. I noticed the properly equipped tow rating was also bumped up. One of the nicest things about the dodge is it's manners around the city. Like you said it is like driving a 1/2 as far as maneuverability and such.

Mine will be all depreciated out at the end of this tax year so I might have to pull the trigger. Unfortunately, with the demand at the moment for these trucks the pricing is pretty firm.. Mine just turned 40k miles today.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Banned

Well it doesn't handle QUITE as good as the 1500(I was talking about ride QUALITY), but I think the Dodge duallys handle every bit as good as Ford and GM trucks. My truck(2006 dually) has rack and pinion steering, a system you normally see on high dollar sports cars.

I drove the 2010 Ram dually to see how much the hydroform units improve ride quality(a LOT) and to see how much the Laramie upgrades have improved the interior appointments( light years better) from the 2009s.

BUT the only upgrade I can't do in the aftermarket is the steering wheel radio controls. My truck is six months from being paid off(still only 69,000 miles on it ) so I'm going to keep it.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say upgrade to a GMC Duramax but I'm biased because I love mine.

To put it in perspective though, even though mine is a crew cab long box 2500 with all the bells and whistles, if I was towing any more boat than the current 29' Fountain I'd be upgrading to a dually 1 ton.
And I'm only towing 7500lbs ish with the truck rated at a very conservative 10k lbs (conventional hitch).

Some of the comments on here are spot on. You can tow with less, but when that 17 year old in a Honda changes lanes on you its going to get real ugly real quick. If you can't afford the tow rig, you can't afford the boat.

Personally, I don't give a darn about MPG. The boat won't even get 2MPG, so who cares if the truck gets 17 or 23?

Just my opinions...
Old 05-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Banned

Hey bajadriver what are you gonna do, keep your truck and boat or go for the big ones?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Registered

Received 96 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie17 View Post
I say upgrade to a GMC Duramax but I'm biased because I love mine.

To put it in perspective though, even though mine is a crew cab long box 2500 with all the bells and whistles, if I was towing any more boat than the current 29' Fountain I'd be upgrading to a dually 1 ton.
And I'm only towing 7500lbs ish with the truck rated at a very conservative 10k lbs (conventional hitch).

Some of the comments on here are spot on. You can tow with less, but when that 17 year old in a Honda changes lanes on you its going to get real ugly real quick. If you can't afford the tow rig, you can't afford the boat.

Personally, I don't give a darn about MPG. The boat won't even get 2MPG, so who cares if the truck gets 17 or 23?

Just my opinions...

Agreed, I love Dodge trucks including "i have drove the 2010 ram 3500 cummins" but the best ride I have found pulling or empty is a GM. I will say that my 08 GMC with a bully dog doesnt pull on hills near like my cummins did but that being said, the GM has a programmer, the dodge had a TST powermax CR/smarty, modified CP3, street/strip cam, industrial injection Silver 62 running a NV 5600/ valair dual disc clutch among some other internal mods.. Not really comparing apples to apples but the IFS rides smoother than a straight axle. With the new PPE hot plus 2ET on it, I ll put money on my GMC. Its a mean little *****.

Cat, care to find out..... lol jking
Old 05-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by endeavor1 View Post
Agreed, I love Dodge trucks including "i have drove the 2010 ram 3500 cummins" but the best ride I have found pulling or empty is a GM. I will say that my 08 GMC with a bully dog doesnt pull on hills near like my cummins did but that being said, the GM has a programmer, the dodge had a TST powermax CR/smarty, modified CP3, street/strip cam, industrial injection Silver 62 running a NV 5600/ valair dual disc clutch among some other internal mods.. Not really comparing apples to apples but the IFS rides smoother than a straight axle. With the new PPE hot plus 2ET on it, I ll put money on my GMC. Its a mean little *****.

Cat, care to find out..... lol jking
LOL my truck is stock, either one of yours would leave me in the dust. I like what you did to the Cummins, must have been a beast.

The Dmax is a great street truck, very quick and gets good fuel mileage, almost as good as the Cummins, but the IFS and V8 diesel suck for towing heavy loads.