Notices

Trailer Upgrades

Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Upgrades

Ok, here is the deal. My 2001 trailer is showing a little age and I have a buddy with a shop and the supplies to do some upgrades and repairs. While we are at it we are going to do a repaint and add a few things on my wish list.

I am going to add some more substantial tie down points, replace the carpeted steps with diamond plate and a few other odds and ends. I am also considering adding a drive guard. I travel quite a bit with my boats and any additional safety and protection is something I value.

The trailer is for my Sunsation 288. Does anyone foresee any issues with adding a drive guard? Specifically loading and unloading the boat? We will be doing a hinged gate of course. Has anyone upgraded a trailer like this and can give me any pointers on the install?

Any advice would be appreciated. Overall, the trailer is in decent shape so I don't really need a new one, I would just like to upgrade what I have.

Looking forward to see what you have to say.

A couple of pictures of the trailer in question.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Upgrades-trailer-11.jpg   Trailer Upgrades-trailer-2-small-.jpg   Trailer Upgrades-trailer-5-small-.jpg  

Last edited by haulinvols; 07-26-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Registered

I think my first upgrade would be to add electric/hydraulic disc brakes. I had them put on my new trailer for a boat a fair amount smaller than yours and it makde a HUGE difference in driveability. With the heavier boat you have, it would be even better.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM
Registered

I did electric over hydraulic drum brakes on my triple axle trailer with a extreamly heavy older 38 foot Cigarette TOP GUN. I'm towing over 15000lbs and I can lock up the tire if I increase my settings on my control. I do have about 2-3 second delay before they kick in. I think I need a small adjustment. Disk brakes would be better, but drum is a lot cheaper. If you have the money, go with Disk; otherwise, use drum brakes and you should be just fine.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Registered
Gold Member

I would make sure that if you add a drive guard that you pull your trailer Flat. Lots of guys pull there lighter/smaller trailers headed up hill and this will make your guard drag and be a pain in the ass. I like mine having on as it adds some degree of safety to the boat although I wish I had told Manning that i was going to add the boxes on my boat. I also agree with the electric over Hydralic. Best thing since sliced bread.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 AM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

The brake upgrade is already on the to-do list. It will just happen over the winter.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't see any issues. I agree on elec/hydr system. I wouldn't own a trailer without them now. Nothing like being able to stop when a idiot cuts you off. That drive guard will come in handy as well when the idiot behind you is text'n while driving...
Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered

Did you do this upgrade Matt? I am thinking about elec/hydr as well. We have disk surge brakes already. Can we just add the controller or do we have to change the entire braking system?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

+1 for the drive guard. Also, with the drive guard, you can weld on loops for your rear tie down straps, so they dont have to rub on the transom. Not too mention a better pulling angle from the straps in a emergency stop.

Another cool upgrade would be to go with a bow stop that has carpeted pads, vs. the roller setup you have.

Of course adding LED lights and more of them is always cool.

Of course nows the time for new bearings and what not. If you dont already have disc brakes, and plan to go ELEC over Hyd, adding them would be a nice addition.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

One more thing. do all your homework on pricing stuff and whats needed. I kinda screwed myself this year in a way. I decided that the non-function surge brake system on my 1990 myco needed to go. Boating in freshwater, figured i'd go with straight electric brakes. They work great, and at least you have control over them unlike surge. Elect over hyd woulda been great, but didnt wanna spend the 600 bucks for a actuator.

so i ended up getting all new electric drum brake pad assemblies, breakaway kit, all the wiring needed to do the job, new bearings and races too. Did all the install for the straight electric system. Then towed the trailer down the road...WTF? Braking sucked. Almost nothing there. Spent hours going over all my work/wiring, etc.

Come to find out, that straight electric brakes, need a electric brake DRUM!!! Most newer trailers have drums that work with either setup, but my 1990? Nope. GRRR.

So this winter, i need to buy 6 new drums to make my electric brakes work. At around 100 bucks a drum, thats 600 bucks. Add that too the 450 bucks i spent on the other stuff, i could have did the elec over hydraulic and been money ahead.

Dang it.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:14 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
Did you do this upgrade Matt? I am thinking about elec/hydr as well. We have disk surge brakes already. Can we just add the controller or do we have to change the entire braking system?
I have not gotten to the brake upgrades yet, have a motor issue to resolve first but I did get most everything else done on the trailer.

I added the drive guard, repainted the trailer, replaced the bunks, replaced the lights with LEDs, replaced all the carpeted steps with diamond plate and did a few other upgrades here and there. Here is a link to more pics of the project. http://picasaweb.google.com/haulinvols/TrailerUpdating#

Still have a few things left but ran into an issue with the 502 in the boat so have to take care of that first.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Upgrades-more-18-medium-.jpg   Trailer Upgrades-more-19-medium-.jpg   Trailer Upgrades-diamond-plate-6-medium-.jpg  

Trailer Upgrades-diamond-plate-12-medium-.jpg   Trailer Upgrades-more-10-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by haulinvols; 12-28-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.