Notices

How big of a truck do I need?

Old 08-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
If you want a new truck you only need a 2003 or newer 2500 gas. A diesel would be worth the money and make towing more enjoyable. Personal opinion if you want a 2wd or 4wd. You do not need a dually. You can get one if you want but do not need. I tow a 53ft gooseneck 3-4 car hauler which weighs 20,000+ lbs with a single rear wheel 2wd dodge cummins all over the country. Stock truck with rear firestone air bags. I have over 360,000 trouble free miles. I used to have a 2008 dodge dually and went back to a single wheel. I also pull my boat out of the water with no problem in 2wd. Good luck with your new truck and boat shopping!
You must not be a commercial hauler. DOT would never let you get away with being as overloaded as you are.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
You must not be a commercial hauler. DOT would never let you get away with being as overloaded as you are.
If you actually new what the FMCA DOT rules are you would not have spoke.

But for everyone else on here I own a legal car hauling business, a 100% clean record with my DOT number. Been through almost every state, all commercial scales and inspection stations. Never had a ticket or warning.

Again, any newer 2500 truck would tow a powerboat great. That is of coarse if it is mechanically sound and the boats trailer is also.

Yeah a medium duty would be cool, a CXT, or a totter home, etc. But not needed. Save your money and put some fuel in your boat and go explore some of the beautiful water we have in this country!

Enjoy looking for your new truck and boat!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
If you actually new what the FMCA DOT rules are you would not have spoke.

But for everyone else on here I own a legal car hauling business, a 100% clean record with my DOT number. Been through almost every state, all commercial scales and inspection stations. Never had a ticket or warning.

Again, any newer 2500 truck would tow a powerboat great. That is of coarse if it is mechanically sound and the boats trailer is also.

Yeah a medium duty would be cool, a CXT, or a totter home, etc. But not needed. Save your money and put some fuel in your boat and go explore some of the beautiful water we have in this country!

Enjoy looking for your new truck and boat!
I posted this thread on an LTL site. It's not a car haul site but these guys are all professionals and they have hauled vehicles. I'll let them speak without comment;

http://ltlhotshot.myfreeforum.org/ft...94-0-asc-0.php
Old 08-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
I posted this thread on an LTL site. It's not a car haul site but these guys are all professionals and they have hauled vehicles. I'll let them speak without comment;

http://ltlhotshot.myfreeforum.org/ft...94-0-asc-0.php
Catmando, you must not have a very interesting life when you find time to post questions about me on other forums. If you want to know the real answer then look up the rules yourself. But wait, you would first have to know more about my business, license, plates, permits, insurance, age, gender, race, and favorite color to be able to research correctly! It would be like someone posting a question on OSO asking, "some guy said he has a huge offshore boat with only 500hp each motor and it goes over 100mph" ! Well lots of people on here would say yeah right, not enough power, etc etc. But we do not even know what kind of boat, cat or v, length, etc. Obviously most of those guys on that forum do not know the rules either, nor do they know what my details are. So assuming that I am this and that, I am a liar. So assuming the guy with the fast boat has a 46 black thunder he is liar, it only goes 72mph! LOL!

If you have a question for me or about me, ask ME. You can pm me and maybe I will answer. I know that I have a legal business and rig. I know how I made it happen because I studied the laws. I could tell all my secrets on this forum but then everyone will be hauling cars stealing my money. Do you tell everyone secrets on how you flip burgers at mcdonalds faster then everyone else and got a 25 cent raise?!

The question that started this thread has nothing to do with commercial, he is only towing recreational. We don't even know how far, and how often he needs to tow. The majority of boat owners rarely even use thier truck to tow the boat compared to not towing. And the distances are usually very short. So if I can get 361,000 miles towing commercially 20,000lbs everyday in all weather and terrian, then sharing my info with other people might help them out. Unless I am just a liar like you say. Its funny how in this world people always think other people are guilty and have to prove themselves innocent, even though moraly, and legally we are supposed to be innocent untill proven guilty.

As we all see, you are a pro posting on this forum and I am new. I have been reading this and different forums for years and rarely find time to post. This thread explains why. This is the first and last time I will waste any time with you Catmando or anyone else. Hopefully you learn and stop running your mouth so other people on here can enjoy reading the opinions of people like me before you chase us off here. At least I thought us Dodge guys could stick together!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Banned

For a lurker you sure like to put up long, convoluted posts. As to my post count, it's much larger than you think. Counting my two bans, it would be closer to 12,000.

The reason I put up that post on LTL is I've never hauled anything that I needed to get weighed for, so I don't know what DOT looks for, but I did think they they checked weights and overloaded axles. Imagine my surprise when I found out they don't care about those things.

I never called you a liar, but you say I flip burgers at McD's. I'll call you a liar for that. You don't know fukall about me.

It's funny, but almost all the pros back you up. I posted about you on two other sites and here's what one of the guys said;

"DOT doesn't care about axle weights on hotshots, only tires. In the 11 years i was running hotshots other then going across scales i have only been weighed once by a DOT and that was so he could make sure I was in the 26k + bracket so he could write me a ticket.. I crossed the scales from Ohio to Kentucky and had 21k of barn wood on the trailer and all they wanted was my dot# paperwork, never even cared about the weight".

So you can get away with using a 3/4 ton truck to haul 20,000+, but pulling it safe and pulling it smart? I don't think so. Gary said it all when I asked him if he would give you any loads; "no sir I would not".

And this is all I will say to you on this subject. To the OP sorry for the hijack.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed! This is getting interesting!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wideawake
Why were you banned?
Well let's get back to the OP's question; 30 or 34 he can pull it with a 2500. 38 would be towed best with a dually.

As far as I'm concerned, Sydwayz is THE expert on OSO for towing boats. The OP would do well to heed his advice.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a truck. I know its not a dooly but it pulls great! should do the job.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

^^^That's the way to do it mittens, buy more truck than you need. Most half ton trucks nowadays would tow that rig no problem. I bet half the time you don't know the boat's back there do you? AND you get way better fuel mileage than you would with a gas motor.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 PM
rjr
Registered

I vote for the dually. In perfect conditions less works. How about when its wet, when some jerk cuts you off, when you lose your trailer brakes. Once I felt the back end of my truck (F350, PS DRW) being pulled offline by the trailer (CAT weighed 16100#). No big deal, just a little nudge that got my attention. I don't know what would have happened if I was pulling with a SRW 3/4 T. But I am glad that I didn't have to find out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.