Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Towing 28' to 30' Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/237942-towing-28-30-boat.html)

sleev-les 08-30-2010 10:40 AM

Towing 28' to 30' Boat

I have been searching this forum and also looking for specs on my truck outside of here. I'm still in the beginning phases of looking at boats and posted another thread in general discussions about boat information. Now, I'm going to narrow down my search based on my truck. Here is what I have:

2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
Extended Cab w/ 6.5' bed
5.3L engine 4x4
Tow Package

I have seen so many different things on the internet about towing capacity and looks like with my setup is 9600lbs. When I buy a boat, I'm looking for 28 to 30'. Preferably twin I/O's. I also see that a 30' Baja Outlaw weighs 6900lbs so with trailer should still be under 9600lbs. I also see a 28' Sunsations is about 4500lbs (these specs based off of their websit for new boats. I'm looking for used ones so dont know how much weight difference there would be from about 2003 to now). I'm curious who is towing a 30' boat with a setup similar to mine and doesn't have issues doing it.

Sydwayz 08-30-2010 10:57 AM

You don't want to tow any twin SBC/BBC boat with a 1/2 ton truck, no matter what the specs say. All that weight at the tail end of the trailer, even with proper tongue weight and setup can become the tail wagging the dog.

Also, check your specs out carefully. Your factory hitch will probably require a full weight distributing hitch setup to tow that kind of weight.
Be sure to check the first thread in this forum for some more exact specs. Look for GT4 or GT5 on your build sticker. GT4 is 3.73 gears. GT5 is 4.10 gears. The GT5 will have a higher tow rating.

You also need to account for boat lengths when you are comparing these boats. The 28 Sunsation is a single BBC and includes a swim platform, so the boat is really about 26.5 feet long or so. The 30' Baja is twin BBC and does not include a swim platform in it's measurement, so it's quite a bit bigger (and heavier) boat than the Sunsation you mention.

1MOSES1 08-30-2010 10:58 AM

We are towing our Formula Fastech 292 Twin 6.2's (7700 lbs wet) on a Real Extreme Aluminum Trailer (1500 lbs) with:

1998 Dodge Ram
2500 Quad Cab
Cummins Diesel Engine Hooked up to an Allison Tranny
Rated 9600 lbs

We have had no problems...Honestly cant even feel the boat behind us...We also dont pull with a fully tanked boat...Stay around half

I would only be concerned with the Baja as it has heavier big block (454's/496's) motors...also has 45 more gallons of fuel capacity (150 cap)...with a lighter truck you might feel a little jarring from side to side

sleev-les 08-30-2010 12:39 PM

Let me also add that the longest tow it will have is at the time of purchase. Other than that, it will be stored at a marina that I will load/unload at the ramp there. So most of the tow will be 1000ft from parking space to the water.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is SBC and BBC?

bigboat28 08-30-2010 01:21 PM

SBC= small block chevy
BBC= big block chevy

waterboy222 08-30-2010 01:47 PM

Just towed a 28 skater over 8 hours with a navigator. Its a very light boat with a little weight off the back end.. When the trailer tires would drop off the yellow line or find a cut in the pavement, correcting the trailer meant that youd get a pretty wicked wag due to the overly soft suspension in the navigator.. No close calls or anything but itd definately perk up the passengers

TexomaPowerboater 08-30-2010 01:52 PM

I tow my 28 Apache with a 07 z71 crew cab 1500, but it just goes about 2 miles from storage to the boat ramp. I have towed it longer distances and it handled well. For the sole purpose of insurance I would probobly buy a 3/4 ton if you plan on going longer distances.

28 Apache weighs 7,000lbs dry, with full tank of gas and triple axle aluminum trailer the rig weighs 9,000lbs.

Expensive Date 08-30-2010 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 3194921)
You don't want to tow any twin SBC/BBC boat with a 1/2 ton truck, no matter what the specs say. All that weight at the tail end of the trailer, even with proper tongue weight and setup can become the tail wagging the dog.

Also, check your specs out carefully. Your factory hitch will probably require a full weight distributing hitch setup to tow that kind of weight.
Be sure to check the first thread in this forum for some more exact specs. Look for GT4 or GT5 on your build sticker. GT4 is 3.73 gears. GT5 is 4.10 gears. The GT5 will have a higher tow rating.

You also need to account for boat lengths when you are comparing these boats. The 28 Sunsation is a single BBC and includes a swim platform, so the boat is really about 26.5 feet long or so. The 30' Baja is twin BBC and does not include a swim platform in it's measurement, so it's quite a bit bigger (and heavier) boat than the Sunsation you mention.

What he said

Expensive Date 08-30-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by moses0324 (Post 3194925)
We are towing our Formula Fastech 292 Twin 6.2's (7700 lbs wet) on a Real Extreme Aluminum Trailer (1500 lbs) with:

1998 Dodge Ram
2500 Quad Cab
Cummins Diesel Engine Hooked up to an Allison Tranny
Rated 9600 lbs

We have had no problems...Honestly cant even feel the boat behind us...We also dont pull with a fully tanked boat...Stay around half

I would only be concerned with the Baja as it has heavier big block (454's/496's) motors...also has 45 more gallons of fuel capacity (150 cap)...with a lighter truck you might feel a little jarring from side to side

What you have is fine world of difference compared to a 1500.

RT930turbo 08-30-2010 01:58 PM

If you are planning on keeping the boat at a marina, I wouldn't limit my boat choice based on what your truck can pull. Just have it shipped, you will save tons vs buying a new truck / limiting your boat choices. I agree with the above, a 30' boat with twins is too much for a 1500 to haul comfortably.

I would not hesitate to use your truck to move the boat around the marina and/or launch ramp. The 4x4 will make a huge difference and you should have no problem launching and retrieving the boat with that truck.

If you have the space and means, consider a dedicated tow vehicle. A mid 90's dually can be had for next to nothing and will tow the boat just fine.