Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Myco steel (painted) trailer in salt? >

Myco steel (painted) trailer in salt?

Notices

Myco steel (painted) trailer in salt?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

never had a problem with my myco steel using it in the salt but i also spent time cleaning it
but i see plenty of people that don't wash them down and they will not hold up
Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want a steel trailer to last have it galvinized and color coated V&Sgalvinizing does all my stuff and there world wide
Old 11-20-2010, 10:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to hijack. Roughly how much is a new alum.Myco for a 38' to 40' v hull?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on options I would guess 15k to 18k.
The reason I asked is about 1/2 of the boats at Shogren have steel trailers.I had flown out there back in August to look at a boat that had an Aluminum trailer but it was not really what I want.Need to wait a little while longer instead of buying something thats almost what I want.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered

http://www.teamshogren.com/pre-owned...lightning.html

Is it me or this trailer is to short for this boat,seems like it hangs off a little,its a nice boat though.

Scroll to the 7th picture.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes the trailer is too short but you may be able to move the bow stop up enough to make it fit right. The stagger in those engines really doesn't move the drives too much closer together or add any room! I guess they are a little closer mounted to the centerline?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Registered

The 04 was only a semi stagger.I think 06 or 07 was a full stagger.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I would never consider a steel trailer, even if I lived on a fresh water lake in the middle of the country. You've got 3 general areas of boaters:
-West Coast
-Midwest
-East Coast
If you have a steel trailer under your boat, you immediately give 2/3s of the buying market an excuse to chew your boat/trailer package price down come resale, as they "need" and aluminum trailer. If you are a midwest boater with an affection toward steel trailers, that's a "want" and not a "need". Hence, the value of an aluminum trailer under a boat sold as a package is a little stronger than steel.
I agree a 100%. I have not considered many boats because they came with a steel trailer.

Another factor is weight. Why tow an extra 1000 lbs if you dont need to???

As far as marine trailers go, steel shouldn't even be an option. A little common sense goes a long way... Then again, I still cant for the life of me understand why so many people buy hi-performance boats with Bravo drives either!!! I long for the day manufacturers start specing Arneson surface drives in there place as std equipment!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
never had a problem with my myco steel using it in the salt but i also spent time cleaning it
but i see plenty of people that don't wash them down and they will not hold up
My steel myco is an 02 and is doing fine... I've towed my boat back and forth to Miami also... It's all about maintenance.
My question is why would you limit what boat you want to buy just because of the trailer? I think you're buying a boat. So it has a rusted trailer...sell it for 3-4k, add another 10k and get your new trailer.... If I'm buying a 150-200-250k boat, what's another 10k....Why limit yourself because of a trailer is my point.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, but not everyone can or even wants to spend $250k on a boat, never mind another $10K on a trailer. If you're looking at a $50k or $60k boat, then having to spend another $10k on a trailer sudenly becomes much more significant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.