Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Myco steel (painted) trailer in salt? >

Myco steel (painted) trailer in salt?

Notices

Myco steel (painted) trailer in salt?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded my channel trailer for a steel Myco. First let me say, you will never buy another trailer after owning a Myco.
I have to agree w Sydways, I would get an aluminum on my next trailer and get it painted. I am in light salt water and after 2 years it shows some signs. The C channels hold up well. Myco uses 1" tube to support the bunks. The exterior holds up well with paint but they drip rust from the interior of the 1" tubes on my expoxy painted floor. They are left raw inside those tubes. I wash off mine the best I can, but time will show on these, Myco will still outlast any trailer 2 to 1. If I keep the boat, I will want to paint the trailer in a couple years. I may see about changing the 1" tubes to stainless somehow to get rid of the problem. Not sure about welding stainless to steel.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to paint the trailer, just weld caps on the end of the open tubes and then paint. Just make sure you do the top and bottom so water doesn't get trapped.

Originally Posted by Linster
I traded my channel trailer for a steel Myco. First let me say, you will never buy another trailer after owning a Myco.
I have to agree w Sydways, I would get an aluminum on my next trailer and get it painted. I am in light salt water and after 2 years it shows some signs. The C channels hold up well. Myco uses 1" tube to support the bunks. The exterior holds up well with paint but they drip rust from the interior of the 1" tubes on my expoxy painted floor. They are left raw inside those tubes. I wash off mine the best I can, but time will show on these, Myco will still outlast any trailer 2 to 1. If I keep the boat, I will want to paint the trailer in a couple years. I may see about changing the 1" tubes to stainless somehow to get rid of the problem. Not sure about welding stainless to steel.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can weld stainless to steel no problem. My brother does it on hydrolic tanks in sanders and excavators all the time. I am not sure if there is any special thing you have to do but I have seen him do it and never seen one come back again....