Notices

New to me tow vehicle.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

If you get a Ford 7.3L PSD, you want a 2000-2003.

1999.5 was when they turned them into a more modern and better setup. 2000 ironed out a few more kinks.

1/2 way through MY2003 they switched to the 6.0L PSD, so if you are looking at a 2003 make sure it is a 7.3L. Dead giveaway from 100 feet away is the turn signal lighted mirrors. Lighted mirrors means 6.0L PSD. All black plastic mirrors means 7.3L PSD (unless someone changed them out.)

The only things to complain about on these trucks:
1) A little loud.
2) A little rougher ride due to the front end leaf spring suspension.
3) A piss poor turning radius due to the front end leaf spring suspension.

I have 110K miles on my 2000 PSD 4x4 CC Lariat LE Dually. I love the truck.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce

Any diesel truck from 07 up has fuel mileage issues from the govt diesel emission system aka DPF. If you get one of these removing the emission equipment is an option to salvage your fuel.

All of these diesels is an overkill for a 30' boat.
The 07.5+ LMM does have that emissions crap, but you can pick up a used PPE Hot+2 and a turbo-back exhaust with no muffler or cat and completely bypass the DPF.

Overkill? Nah, I've tried the gas burners vs. the diesels. All my boats have been ~ 6000# and the gas burners were awful for towing that weight. Like I said, they can't even pull their own ass up a hill without downshifting 3 gears.

Originally Posted by PWRQWST
The 2006 Duramax was the last of the good ones from what I was told. Not sure just going by what i have heard. Less government crap on them.

I have tried to justify the Diesel engine because they are just sweet, but here in Illinois it cost 30 cents more per gal. I did the math to justify it, the funny part is i could not justify it. A 2011 Duramax gets 18 mpg and a new 6.0 litre gets 14 MPG so it is a just want to have to get the diesel unless you actually need the power.
That's why you don't go buy a new one. You can find a nice, low mileage, used 08-09 for $20K off compared to the new ones. There's you're justification.

My current truck is an LBZ. Much better truck then the previous years.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great info... It is really helping with my research.