Notices

Ford F-350 Door adjustment?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BONDO10 View Post
I usually start all me advice by saying I'm "not an expert". But this time I actually get to sat I am. I own an auto body/collision shop. When you lift up on the door to check hinge play,only open it a few inches,if you open more than that it won't move up and down ,and appear that the hinges are good. I can almost guarantee the hinges are bad.We do a ton of them. The pics of the repair kit is a GM set up.The Fords are a lot harder to service that way,and much easier to replace the whole hinge.Have someone lift up on the door so you can watch which hinge is bad,upper or lower. The lower has 2 bolts going into the door,2 into the hinge pillar,and one coming from the inside.You will have to remove the kick panel trim to access it.Be sure to tape the edge of the fender and door as to not chip it.It helps to have 2 people,one to hold the door while you change the hinge.No need to remove the door from the truck. The quick fix is to loosen the 2 bolts on the lower hinge going into the door and slid in a shim on each.The hinge will continue to wear,so you will have to replace it eventually.Hope this help.Sorry to be so long winded,but its fun to actually know what the "fudge" I'm talking about for once.
NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE FOR A "LONG WINDED" THREAD!

I DO appreciate the info, especially coming from someone who has experience with the problem and offers a solution as well! Its certainly appreciated.

I will open the door a few inches and check the hinges as you suggest and see if I can find him a set on Ebay on the "cheap" [he is one of those "loveable, Grandfather types" that you cant help but like, and try to help out]

Thanks to EVERYONE for the input and the advice, and a Merry Christmas and safe holiday to all members!

Thanks again!
Michael