Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Can you tow  31 sonic with anything something below a 2500 series? >

Can you tow 31 sonic with anything something below a 2500 series?

Notices

Can you tow 31 sonic with anything something below a 2500 series?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about trying to launch the 342 with the Aspen, but how many chances would I have gotten to screw that up?

The boat might have pulled you into the water.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Registered

Years ago a friend of mine converted a 3/4 ton Suburban into a dually he used to pull a 38 Cigarette. Looked cool and functional too.

The biggest part of towing anything is not so much being able to pull the load but rather being in control of it. Stopping, manuevering, and pulling are all combined when trailering. You have to feel safe in the driver seat, don't short cut on that.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to be able to stop WITHOUT the trailer brakes. You can't depend on them. With a good trailer a half ton will pull a 31 sonic very well, as long as the trailer brakes work perfect. When you have a failure with the trailer, its all over.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Catmando
I thought about trying to launch the 342 with the Aspen, but how many chances would I have gotten to screw that up?

The boat might have pulled you into the water.
Exactly why I didn't have the balls to try it. Moving it around the marina and pulling it out didn't concern me. The Hemi has more HP and torque than the 6.8 V10. It was vehicle weight that concerned me.

If I didn't go really slow with the 29OL it would drag the Aspen a little. Nothing like that pucker feeling!!

Actually thought about chaining the Aspen to the dually and trying to launch the 342 once, but I figured I already bought the truck so why look like "that guy" at the ramp.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Banned

Actually thought about chaining the Aspen to the dually and trying to launch the 342 once, but I figured I already bought the truck so why look like "that guy" at the ramp.

I can just hear the hoots and catcalls you would have gotten doing that "hey Bob look at that idiot get your camera out let's put him on youtube".
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha have been with my dad being that guy when i was younger, he pulled a 26 foot searay out with a el cameno, chained to a jeep cherokee. with us sitting inthe bed over the rear wheels.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mittens
haha have been with my dad being that guy when i was younger, he pulled a 26 foot searay out with a el cameno, chained to a jeep cherokee. with us sitting inthe bed over the rear wheels.
Add a case of Bush Light and that episode of "My Name is Earl" would be complete!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mittens
Well I didn't go that far, but when I had a 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 2wd, I had to get five guys to stand on the rear bumper to get my 5000lb rig up the ramp. Needless to say I felt stupid...

(I changed to M&S tires and solved the problem).