Notices

F250, Gas or Oil?

Old 02-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F250, Gas or Oil?

Been looking around at used F250's and curious what people's feeling are on the gas vs diesel models.
Many i have looked at are diesel's and I dont have much knowledge on aspects such as maintainance probs & cost compared to gas.
Also I see models (Diesels) with 50000 80000 miles on them. Should I not be thinking; too many miles, as I would with gas?

If your wondering purpose for truck.
I have no real use with a f250 other than just wanting one.
I currently only have a 25 ft boat but always looking for more.

Thanks Mark
Old 02-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Most of the guys on this website use diesels - there's a reason they do.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Most of the guys on this website use diesels - there's a reason they do.
That answers all my questions... Thanks

Again, not pulling a 40-50 Ft'er
just opinions for a general purpose truck.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I apologize for not meeting your expectations in my first post.

Some of it is common sense - diesel's are more expensive up front, and repair bills for diesels are typically higher if you have other people work on your truck. However, I made the assumption that with the diesels that repairs would be less likely because they are more reliable.

Common consensus is that NONE of the big 3 make a bad diesel, but you'll find people who have had bad experiences no matter what. I said this in another post and I'll say it again, my Diesel Dually gets better mileage and can tow twice what my Brother-in-Law's 1500 gasser can.

Give us your budget and what timeframe truck you are looking at and people can better reply to your question. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an F250 with 50-80k miles on it. If it was well maintained and depending on the engine I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at twice that mileage.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered

seafordguy, thanks for info
I realize nobody can come out and say one is better than the other, I just digg'n for opinions from experience.
Looking at driving on a reg basis, not just pulling boat and been leaning toward the diesels.
One local here is a 07 250sd lariat, 4door, powerstroke turbo, fully loaded. has 81000 for $28000 . there are several others im looking at and planning on staying under $35000
I would of never thought of buying a vehicle with 80000 miles and again just diggn for opinions on diesel vs gas for my application.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Pulling a boat...

Oil>>>>15 MPG
Gas>>>6MPG

Now drive to Florida....
Old 02-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLH
Pulling a boat...

Oil>>>>15 MPG
Gas>>>6MPG

Now drive to Florida....
LOL,, oil sound better.
My tahoe gets 11mpg pulling boat
actually the truck probably wouldnt know my 25 fter was back there.
Thanks
Old 02-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered

I have a good freind who is a ford tech. I have wanted a deisel for long time but watching his truck service bay I see allot of deisels coming in with big problems that cost big moeny. Trans issues, head stud issues, turbo problems, Coolers leaking. rarely see gas engines coming in unless they get run out of oil.

I still have my 8MPG dodge hemi cause the deisels can nickel and dine you to death, even the oiul changes are 3 times as expensive.

If you cant get by without its towing power go diesel. If you can get by with bad milage go gas. You can always put a centrifugul SC on it. Plus you save a ton of cash up front.

The 6.0 ford was a turd! make sure it has had ARP head studs done or its gonna have problems in the future! The 7.3 was great other than the oil pans rotting out. The cummins is killer unless you get into the early ones with the KDP killer dowl pin problem( most are fixed by now.)

I dont know much about the chevy gmc stuff. I had a few gas GMC's and they were rattle traps with crap engines. but those were 90's trucks,
Old 02-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered

However, I made the assumption that with the diesels that repairs would be less likely because they are more reliable.

Common consensus is that NONE of the big 3 make a bad diesel, but you'll find people who have had bad experiences no matter what. I said this in another post and I'll say it again, my Diesel Dually gets better mileage and can tow twice what my Brother-in-Law's 1500 gasser can.

Ford has a crap deisel called a 6.0! in stock form they are JUNK with major engineering problems mainly in the head stud area.

Obviously a 3500 dually will tow twice that of a 1500 in any make! Its three times the truck basically. A stock ford deisel will not out tow my dodge hemi! (2003 vs 2003) When running to the race track, I continually pass my buddies deisels in stock trim up most hills.

Difference is they are getting 16 to 19 MPG and I am getting 8 MPG plus I am revving the crap out of my truck to do it.

Now compare add on deisels to gas trucks with add ons and there's no comparison the deisels will eat my truck allive,and they still get 16 to 18 MPG!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mreedy
I have no real use with a f250 other than just wanting one.

Thanks Mark
That's exactly why I bought mine a few years ago, seriously. Going from a 1/2T truck to a 3/4T is night and day. It's just a helluva lot heavier, in a good way.

I bought a diesel, but if I had to do it now, I might go V10! Diesel is getting expensive, and as freight demand comes back, I don't see it going down. About $3.20/gallon here in MS!

Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.