Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
7.3L Oil Leak from tranny?  Fixxer, anyone? >

7.3L Oil Leak from tranny? Fixxer, anyone?

Notices

7.3L Oil Leak from tranny? Fixxer, anyone?

Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.3L Oil Leak from tranny? Fixxer, anyone?

Hi, My 2000 7.3L 6sp developed an oil leak. Underneath, on the trans casting, right behind the starter, there appears to be a rubber plug that it's leaking from. I felt around the casting and everything above this plug is dry, so I'm sure it's not dripping down from the top.

Any thoughts or ideas on an easy fix? What's behind this plug?

Thanks!!

Last edited by bustedbrick; 09-13-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it looks like the clutch fork is there.
Attached Thumbnails 7.3L Oil Leak from tranny?  Fixxer, anyone?-clutchfork.gif  
Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Is this what your housing looks like?
Attached Thumbnails 7.3L Oil Leak from tranny?  Fixxer, anyone?-housing.gif  
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

remove the fill plug and make sure someone didnt ober fill the trans,,the plug looks to have a slot in it that a big screwdriver fits into,,is it threaded or is their a vent hole in it???

looks like its just seeping and is leaking from the oil splashing arounf in the trans,,i vave fixed minor leaks for customers that dont want to spend allot of money..clean the area real good with laquer thinner and mix up some jb weld and go over the whole area..

make sure first that theirs no wheep hole in the middle of the plug..

Last edited by FIXX; 02-22-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Registered

Thanks. MrV8, yes, that is what my trans case looks like. The "plug" is straight down from the tip of the arrow.

It's definitely a rubber plug and it looks like its pushed in from the inside. It does not have a screwdriver slot in it. If there really is just a clutch fork on the other side, than there has got to be a lot of oil where it shouldn't be for it to leak out of it like that.

I'm thinking that "plug" is actually just the backside of the pivot ball?

I really don't want to have to drop the trans!

Randy
Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Well, first find out what and how much fluid is lost.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

I did some more snooping around and indeed, the HPOP back plug is leaking. Repair o-ring kit is on the way.

I will fix this first and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't obviously there is more leaking than that. If it does, than it's just a normal HPOP leak that has scattered oil all over the place.

That plug this really isn't a plug, it's the back side of the pivot point which snaps into the casting. What I'm seeing is the retaining clips.

Thanks for the help guys. Randy
Old 02-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

do the HPOPs then check the turbo pedastals o rings! I replace the HPOPs and still had it accumulating it turned out to be the turbo pedastal orings.. Also the ford starters dont like a lot oil running into them, After I replaced my orings it went out after it started to dry up. To clean the valley I would recommend taking the starter off and douse the valley with cleaners and rinse out real good.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

I had the same issue (2001 F250). Look in "the valley" behind your fuel bowl and see if there is oil puddling up. If you see oil there, it then runs down the back of the engine and appears to be dripping off the front of the tranny. I had to replace my pedestal o-rings. There are aftermarket o-rings available on diesel websites that are supposed to be better than OEM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:24 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine oil I assume? If it's not leaking from above then I would suspect rear crank seal. Anything leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing area? It would have to be slinging around the bellhousing to be leaking there wouldn't you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.