Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
What have others done to fix their 6.0 fords? >

What have others done to fix their 6.0 fords?

Notices

What have others done to fix their 6.0 fords?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I sunk $7k in mine last summer and it all went to quick to trade in. I would have traded in for a new one. I am looking at doing the head studs, egr delete, new oil coller, head flattening, and HP head gasket with an economy towing tune. Price is about $5k. Thing is I want to pay this thing off and keep it for a few years and get me a new daily driver. Right now I put about 30k a year on it and if I can get it to boat hauling only that would drop down to probably 7k a year. The payoff for a trade in over a 60/mo upgrade is just not there. I saw on several diesel forums where guys had done this and were over 300k now. I was just seeing if anyone I knew and trusted on here had seen any results.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 6.0

there is a ford website thedieselstop.com and as said its amazing some are junk some are problem free. mine had issues,left me stranded with the boat a couple times. and the tow truck that comes for a 550 and 35' is huge and expensive. so now I have a 650 with a cat, overkill yes, but cool
Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by waycool marine
there is a ford website thedieselstop.com and as said its amazing some are junk some are problem free. mine had issues,left me stranded with the boat a couple times. and the tow truck that comes for a 550 and 35' is huge and expensive. so now I have a 650 with a cat, overkill yes, but cool
Join BoatUS......Membership is cheap and you can buy towing coverage that sends 2 trucks if you break down while towing (one for the truck, one for the trailer).....for an additional $10
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
Join BoatUS......Membership is cheap and you can buy towing coverage that sends 2 trucks if you break down while towing (one for the truck, one for the trailer).....for an additional $10
thats a cool idea and good info
Old 03-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
I sunk $7k in mine last summer and it all went to quick to trade in. I would have traded in for a new one. I am looking at doing the head studs, egr delete, new oil coller, head flattening, and HP head gasket with an economy towing tune. Price is about $5k. Thing is I want to pay this thing off and keep it for a few years and get me a new daily driver. Right now I put about 30k a year on it and if I can get it to boat hauling only that would drop down to probably 7k a year. The payoff for a trade in over a 60/mo upgrade is just not there. I saw on several diesel forums where guys had done this and were over 300k now. I was just seeing if anyone I knew and trusted on here had seen any results.
Be careful letting a diesel set around and just towing your boat, that's all I do with mine and I'm sure its the route of all and any issues I have.

I no a guy with a 03' 6.0...15k miles and had 2 turbos...
Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THE 288 KID
Be careful letting a diesel set around and just towing your boat, that's all I do with mine and I'm sure its the route of all and any issues I have.

I no a guy with a 03' 6.0...15k miles and had 2 turbos...
I have already had one so I am halfway there If it goes again I will replace it with an aftermarket turbo that has non flexing fins in it. The fords need to be drove hard every once in awhile so they don't freeze up then break under tension.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

There's some great information here on what you can do for all of the common problems with that motor:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0...ine/index.html

Funny thing about those motors, some run great and some are just turds. We've got 3 of them. The '03 is an absolute POS. With the two '05's, one runs awesome and the other one is somewhat problematic. Go figure.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
I asked a mechanic buddy of mine what I should do with my 2007 coming out of warranty. He said forget all the kits.......just spend the money on an extended warranty.
That's bull**** - all you did was sell your boat and quit driving the truck - problem solved
Old 03-22-2011, 03:16 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
That's bull**** - all you did was sell your boat and quit driving the truck - problem solved
Lifted dually, airbags, and a 21ft center console does look a little funny coming down the road!!!! But that CC has already been out boating and took a whopping $161.00 to fill it up.