Notices

Snapped a axle today.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Snapped a axle today.

Snapped a axle today on my older myco. Its one of those drop style axles on a triple axle leaf spring setup. Basically it broke right at the weld, where the drop part of the spindle is welded to the axle tube.

Should I order a axle or since its a clean break, just get it welded back on? Any tips on removing and replacing the axle? Its the center axle....
Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replace the axle if you weld it up and its not lined up correctly you'll ruin tires
Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by weldcrane
replace the axle if you weld it up and its not lined up correctly you'll ruin tires
I agree, get new axle. I had one repaired by a trailer manufacture, after I had done I found out I coud have bought a new one for about the same price. After repair wore out tire, took back to manufacture and they tried a second time to get it right.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Bring it over joe,,i got tig,stick mig torches plasma cutter chop saw and the steel to fix it..
Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I just had the exact same thing happen. I agree it would be best to replace it, but I had mine repaired by a very competent welder to at least get me through the season.

Took him about an hour and cost me $40. Much better than dealing with a replacement.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Registered

Joe... Best way to remove is jack up one side, place a jack stand under it... ditto on the other side. Sometimes its easier to have it hitched to a truck as well... just to make sure you dont roll and depending how strong your tongue jack is... pull the tires off, then unbolt the axle, drag out from side... I replaced both axles on my checkmate trailer.. an hour job... nice and easy...

Also, yes, replace it! If you want some more axle manufacturer.. let me know.... It's elkhart and there are a few lol...
Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 PM
VIP Member

Use a 20 ton bottle jack. A regular jack will most likely not lift it up.