Notices

make your own trailer ?

Old 08-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen lips.....my whole point was that sometimes its better to let the people who do the stuff for a living take care of it for you. You said you repair Fords for a living right ? Then you should be able to understand that you'd be unemployed if most people fixed their own vehicles at home. Sometimes the customers bring their cars to you....cause you know what your doing....even tho they might be able to fix it themselves. Its just smarter sometimes. And by the way.....can't you afford a membership on here ? Or are you just gonna keep riding for free ?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered

In my opinion it's not "worth" it. Can it be done.....sure, with the right tools and knowledge as Tinman states.....but you're not hauling around a 800lb riding lawnmower. It's a lot of weight and I want to know for sure it was done by people who make these things ALL THE TIME! Just my 2 cents!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming you're handy (and it sounds like you are and have access to everything you need to do it right), there's nothing difficult about building a safe trailer, especially if you already have one to basically copy. You can even over build it if you're that concerned about it.

Many of the trailers that come out of So. FL are about as flimsy and cheesy as you can get, while still getting the job done. These guys fight for sales in a cut throat business down there. It certainly wouldn't be hard to build a better built trailer than some of ones those guys are selling!

At the end of the day, if you don't mind the work, you can probably save some decent coin by building your own cat trailer, as they are generally pretty pricy for a decent one. Even with the savings you can probably build it beefier than what you'll likely buy commercially as well.

On a vee you may not save enough to make it worth your while. I thought about it and will likely just buy a new aluminum Manning when I decide to replace my steel Myco (sooner than later at this point). I'm sure I could save a couple thousand doing it myself, but it probably isn't worth my time given all the other projects I should be taking care of...

Ken, if you feel like building two at the same time for our OL's, I'll help subsidize your efforts!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tinman565
Listen lips.....my whole point was that sometimes its better to let the people who do the stuff for a living take care of it for you. You said you repair Fords for a living right ? Then you should be able to understand that you'd be unemployed if most people fixed their own vehicles at home. Sometimes the customers bring their cars to you....cause you know what your doing....even tho they might be able to fix it themselves. Its just smarter sometimes. And by the way.....can't you afford a membership on here ? Or are you just gonna keep riding for free ?
I have no problem at all with your opinion just your sarcasm. I have tackled way more complicated projects than building a trailer in the past, so I have no doubt I can build it as good or better than the ones I have priced. I agree with trying to protect most people from themselves but that wasn't the point of this thread. I know my abilities & the resources I have available. I just wanted opinions from people that have done it. Price a cat trailer & maybe you will see my point, & I'm not talking about a high end trailer. I was a paying member in the past & decided not to renew it, so what.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 4,308 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Me and a friend built a custom dump trailer. We did have a car trailer that we stripped first so it wasn`t from scratch.
At the end of the day with all the hours and $$ we put in and all the lost weekend I spent on it...... in the middle of the project I wish I would have just bought one.

Was not worth it, yes I have a custom one exactly to my specs and needs but man it took waaaaaaaaayyy longer and cost more than I ever excepted.