Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Advice on engine, package 2011 Yukon, Suburban >

Advice on engine, package 2011 Yukon, Suburban

Notices

Advice on engine, package 2011 Yukon, Suburban

Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Since when? All GM 4wd vehicles use CV half shafts, at least since 1988 (for full size). There is a disconnect that unlocks the long side shaft from the differential, but that's it, no automatic hubs. Unless it's changed in the last year or so...but I would be surprised.

GM hasn't used 'hubs' since they put a solid axle under the front of the trucks/blazers/suburbans (granted the subs/blazers didn't change body style/axle until 91-ish).
^ This is the correct answer.

The CV shafts still turn when in 2wd, but there is a disconnect in the front diff, that keeps the driveshaft from spinning. The CV shafts are splined to the unit bearing/hub, and there is no way to "unlock" the hubs.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Thanks for the advice. She drove a camaro ss and liked that. It's going to be a tough choice.
I have an SS with the 6.2 lots of power think camaro has the 3.43 gears. I get about 17-19 in that car. Add 2k lbs less aero dynamic bigger gears and an automatic transmission I doubt that Tahoe with the 6.2 get any better than 14-15 anytime of the day
Old 10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would still go for 6.2, huge performance difference and the mpg is negligible, 5.3 barely get's better mileage in the real world.

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I have an SS with the 6.2 lots of power think camaro has the 3.43 gears. I get about 17-19 in that car. Add 2k lbs less aero dynamic bigger gears and an automatic transmission I doubt that Tahoe with the 6.2 get any better than 14-15 anytime of the day
I'd say something is wrong with your Camaro or you foot is hammering it all the time lol. I almost bought a Denali, but a friends 6.2 gets 20-21 on the highway at 75, granted he has some mods but that torque and the gearing of the 6 speed is a pretty efficient combo for the truck (his is 2wd).

Last edited by Quicksilver; 10-07-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

, but a friends 6.2 gets 20-21 on the highway at 75,

That must be coasting down hill or sumthing.
Never been close in ours.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Quinlan

Intake, headers, full exhaust and tune... stock was like 18-19 mpg. We went to Atlanta from Boca last year, and got avg 20.8 mpg at 75. Remember we're in FL, nice and flat.... hilly areas and altitude kill gas mileage. Let me tell you, that truck is no slouch stock, but with those mods on the 6.2 you would not believe how fast that truck is w/o forced induction. He's 2wd as well Have another friend with a regular Tahoe 5.3, mileage is basically the same between the two, 5.3 lil better in the city.

But if you want 4wd then you only choice is the 5.3, which isn't a bad combo especially now that they added the 6 speed to it as well, before that 4 speed pos trans sucked with the 5.3, both for towing and driving, felt lethargic.

Last edited by Quicksilver; 10-07-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered

Have the 5.3 in my tahoe pulls my 28ft powerquest no problem...we use it instead of my 2500 most of the time
Old 10-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Quinlan

Yeah hes either full of chit or something else. I average 17 in the camaro and it will do 21 crusing long dinstances. I guess your friend did a lot of stuff to get that MPG. If you spent thousands upgrading its going to take a lot of miles doing a couple miles better to make up for the upgrades plus you tank your warranty, not a good idea.

Again 6.2 is better peformance but when you get to be older and have kids if your trying to have a hot rod tahoe you have problems.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Yeah hes either full of chit or something else. I average 17 in the camaro and it will do 21 crusing long dinstances. I guess your friend did a lot of stuff to get that MPG. If you spent thousands upgrading its going to take a lot of miles doing a couple miles better to make up for the upgrades plus you tank your warranty, not a good idea.

Again 6.2 is better peformance but when you get to be older and have kids if your trying to have a hot rod tahoe you have problems.
Your Camaro is rated 24 on the highway, you can check forums and see others avg quite higher then 21... you'd have to be going pretty fast to avg only 21, even with the porky weight of the Camaro as 6th is geared very tall.

But I don't see how you think the mileage on the Denali is fake? I owned an 07' Lade for about 8 months, rwd. I think the rwd was 19 highway, but I know the awd was 18 highway rated. I got 19-20 mpg as well on the highway... so how do you see that as far fetched when it's rated right in that range? buddies Denali got the same, he's rwd as well. He didn't spend thousands on mods, but he has a maggie going on soon, either way those mods made for even better mileage and big power gain, but the mpg wasn't that big, around 1-1.5 mpg. I looked at getting an used Denali to play around with and for towing, like the looks better then the bling of the Lade, but I had issues with that 07'.

Remember conditions can affect mpg, we live in FL, which is flat and nice weather. If you live in higher altitudes and hilly areas, then yeh your gonna get worse mileage then avg.

edit - actually here's a quick insert I found online from a Car & Driver test on an 07' Denali Even with an increase of 45 horsepower and 40 pound-feet over the previous Denali, the 2007 model manages the same 13-mpg city rating and betters the highway number by 2 mpg to 19. We were surprised to attain 20 mpg on highway stretches, even at near-80-mph speeds. ... still don't see what's so far fetched about the highway mileage? Yeh city and avg is lower obviously, but for these trucks size their pretty decent on the hwy.

Last edited by Quicksilver; 10-10-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Wife chose a 2012 inferno orange metallic/black racing stripes Camaro. I wish she would have picked the Suburban to drive, but the Camaro is nice and the Matches the color of the DCB engines.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on engine, package 2011 Yukon, Suburban-604enginepaint.jpg   Advice on engine, package 2011 Yukon, Suburban-604enginerearsidenearcomp.jpg  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Your Camaro is rated 24 on the highway, you can check forums and see others avg quite higher then 21... you'd have to be going pretty fast to avg only 21, even with the porky weight of the Camaro as 6th is geared very tall.

But I don't see how you think the mileage on the Denali is fake? I owned an 07' Lade for about 8 months, rwd. I think the rwd was 19 highway, but I know the awd was 18 highway rated. I got 19-20 mpg as well on the highway... so how do you see that as far fetched when it's rated right in that range? buddies Denali got the same, he's rwd as well. He didn't spend thousands on mods, but he has a maggie going on soon, either way those mods made for even better mileage and big power gain, but the mpg wasn't that big, around 1-1.5 mpg. I looked at getting an used Denali to play around with and for towing, like the looks better then the bling of the Lade, but I had issues with that 07'.

Remember conditions can affect mpg, we live in FL, which is flat and nice weather. If you live in higher altitudes and hilly areas, then yeh your gonna get worse mileage then avg.

edit - actually here's a quick insert I found online from a Car & Driver test on an 07' Denali Even with an increase of 45 horsepower and 40 pound-feet over the previous Denali, the 2007 model manages the same 13-mpg city rating and betters the highway number by 2 mpg to 19. We were surprised to attain 20 mpg on highway stretches, even at near-80-mph speeds. ... still don't see what's so far fetched about the highway mileage? Yeh city and avg is lower obviously, but for these trucks size their pretty decent on the hwy.
I have the 2010 and when it came out was rated at 21 or 22 HWY. I think in the last year or two they have flashed the computer to gain a few more MPG. I do not drive more than 8 over the speed limit on the highway. Honestly 24 is very presumptious in that car. I would believe it going 60 in sixth gear on a flat rod. My camaro will be three years old in may and I have 3k miles on it, so I hardly beat it.