Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Nor-Tech 50' cat behind a 3500 GMC? >

Nor-Tech 50' cat behind a 3500 GMC?

Notices

Nor-Tech 50' cat behind a 3500 GMC?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha 225
Not any poor stability either (they tow these cats with regular "non goose neck" trailers also).
You are correct, the trailer is purpose built for that weight, length and balance. Its the truck that will sway. If its independent front suspension, it'll be even worse but I think that model has a solid front axle. With that much weight on the back of the truck, the front tires will only be riding on the outer edges of the tread pattern. Which makes your steering SUPER "responsive" because you have such little drag against the rubber..

Just be safe man, thats a LOT of money behind you that will be comin out of your checkbook if anything happens. Because you're out of bounds on the insurance setup.

No ones tellin you NOT to do it, its just that its a LOT to worry about and a LOT to handle. Most of have exceeded capacity plenty of times without incident. But its still taking a huge risk.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Who cares about the length, trailer type, brake type or year of truck..

HOW MUCH DOES THE BOAT AND TRAILER WEIGH TOGETHER?

Thats where you're going to get stuck.

Will it stop properly? Yes. If you have the right brakes under your truck and trailer.

Will it pull it? Yes.. Theres enough HP assuming you're running a diesel.

Will it wander all over the highway because the front of the truck is in the air? YES.

If you had a trailer brake failure, would the truck stop the entire weight of the rig? NO.

Im assuming a 4 engine 50' cat is going to be over 20k. Adding leaf springs, airbags and all that will help significantly with stability but you're still taking a chance. You've got a LOT to lose, literally, behind that truck.

You sure you want to save a few bucks and risk it? You should really consider a truck upgrade...

I may be wrong, the weight may well be within the capacity of the truck. But I doubt it.

Agree with Waterboy.

Towing capacity of 2002 GMC 3500 is less than 15K with a gooseneck.
Adding stuff to the truck does not increase the towing capacity!
Just the way it handles the load.
Take the boat and trailer to a truck stop weigh station and weigh it then you will know.

just FYI--------
My 2000 28 Skater plus Skater trailer weighs 6050 lbs total-
with 460lbs tongue wt.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
You are correct, the trailer is purpose built for that weight, length and balance. Its the truck that will sway. If its independent front suspension, it'll be even worse but I think that model has a solid front axle. With that much weight on the back of the truck, the front tires will only be riding on the outer edges of the tread pattern. Which makes your steering SUPER "responsive" because you have such little drag against the rubber..

Just be safe man, thats a LOT of money behind you that will be comin out of your checkbook if anything happens. Because you're out of bounds on the insurance setup.

No ones tellin you NOT to do it, its just that its a LOT to worry about and a LOT to handle. Most of have exceeded capacity plenty of times without incident. But its still taking a huge risk.
How is pin weight from a gooseneck trailer going to make less weight on the front tires? Gooseneck trailer put most of their weight on the rear axle and some of the front axle. That the whole point of a gooseneck.

Also to the poster above the towing weight rate of a 3500 dually with a gooseneck is much more than 15k.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Most gooseneck hitches recommend installation 3 to 5 inches in front of the centerline of the rear axle helping transfer weight up front.

When I cross the scales (2-5 times a day!) In my dodge pulling a 50ft gooseneck combined weight around 25-26k the front axle reads 4500lbs while the rear reads about 8500 lbs and the triples on the trailer share 13000 lbs.

Empty weight on my truck is around 6500 lbs (reg cab 2wd) proving my front end is not light or riding high. I have 100000 miles on my 10 month old cummims, 400k on my 03, (both 2wd) plus 3 previous cummins. We haul like this with zero problems.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 11-25-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Your truck will pull the boat good. "Safe" depends on driver more then equipment. Proper tire pressure. Working brakes. And air bags will help.

I tow a 50ft trailer weighing 20,000 lbs everyday for a living behind my dodge. I have put over 600,000 miles accident free doing this.
Legally?
Old 11-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by sbracing
Legally?
Yes. I own my business so commercially I am legal. I have insurance which has to get sent in to the FMCSA DOT electronically to keep my DOT number active and legal. So anyone who says insurance wont cover is wrong. I have been through every state multiple times. I have yearly inspections and random inspections while crossing the scales and maintain a very clean DOT record.

As for recreational towing I find it hard to believe the laws would be any more strict...prob less strict. I personally believe all these rumors are started by uneducated car salesman trying to make an extra buck.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the last time I saw a 50' Nortech cat behind a truck it was a Pete 379. That's how you make sure you have enough truck for the job.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Well the last time I saw a 50' Nortech cat behind a truck it was a Pete 379. That's how you make sure you have enough truck for the job.
as long as it is'nt behind a D@DGE you'll be just fine
had to do it Cat

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
+1
Old 11-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i dont know about norway,but here in the good old USA,good used semi tractors can be had very reasonable these days,or you can rent one when you need it.just my 02 worth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.