Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Need to rent a trailer (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/266018-need-rent-trailer.html)

jeff1000man 11-21-2011 09:02 AM

Need to rent a trailer

Need a trailer that is in S. Florida to go home to TX and bring back my sea ray.

Needs to be a trailer for a 40' plus boat, or be a tandem dually. Boat weights 15000+

Been trying to get shipping quotes, but they are crazy

waterboy222 11-21-2011 09:26 AM

Have you considerd a cradle and flatbed shipping? We moved a few boats from Soflo to oklahoma this way. Call down to the marina that has the boat and ask if they have a cradle. We could buy them for a quarter of the price of a trailer and then have them shipped on a flatbed truck with mixed freight. Good Luck Jeff

jeff1000man 11-21-2011 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by waterboy222 (Post 3554254)
Have you considerd a cradle and flatbed shipping? We moved a few boats from Soflo to oklahoma this way. Call down to the marina that has the boat and ask if they have a cradle. We could buy them for a quarter of the price of a trailer and then have them shipped on a flatbed truck with mixed freight. Good Luck Jeff

Interesting

ezstriper 11-22-2011 04:19 PM

if the boat is over 8'6" better let a transport co move it....all the wide load permits are a killer and you have to know what when and where..no simple deal...been involved with that before...and the fines are stout !!!!

jeff1000man 11-22-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ezstriper (Post 3555398)
if the boat is over 8'6" better let a transport co move it....all the wide load permits are a killer and you have to know what when and where..no simple deal...been involved with that before...and the fines are stout !!!!

So far what I have seen is the fines are cheaper than the transport bids.....:eek:

We moved it from FL to TX originally with no permit, Not seeing why it is going to change going the other way.

Investigating some other options as well.

Thanks

waterboy222 11-23-2011 09:11 AM

If you hire someone commercially to move it, theyll have to get permits. If you haul it yourself you can sneak by without much flack if you get out of florida at night. I still think the shipping cradle and flatbed will be the cheapest. But its finding a cradle and loader that is kind of a pain.

Steve H 11-24-2011 10:39 AM

This past summer I hauled my 10' wide boat thru WA, OR, ID, UT, and AZ using a multi state "regional permit". It was not expensive or hard to get online. I don't know if they are available for your route, but definitely worth a look. and yes, we did get checked more than once.

boatman22 11-24-2011 10:42 AM

I know where you can buy 1 that fits perfect.